Return suction hose leaking

Sundra

Dec 22, 2020
Louisiana
I am having a problem with the hose coming out of the pool returning to the pump leaking down the outside wall of my Coleman Vista View pool when pump is not running. I checked when pump is running and no leak. Anyone have any ideas? It is the small plastic hose held together with a clamp. I don't think it is leaking at the clamp, it appears to be where hose is coming out of pool.
Thanks in advance.
Sundra

Last edited:
Welcome! I don’t have a Coleman but I have an Intex and they share similarities.

Can you post a picture of the connection in question?

Hard to see detail on the connection in question but the entire thing looks very similar to my Intex setup.
full

Okay, so I went out and grabbed some photos on my pool. Still had the return lines attached, removed them for the winter while I was out there. This is a detail shot of the connected hose.
full

On the inside of the pool there is a gray return piece. This is covered by another gray screw on grate during operation. In the middle of this is a “pipe” that sticks through the wall of the pool.
full

If I loosen the clamp and slide the hose off, it looks like this. You can see some gray sticking out the bottom, that’s the “pipe” connected to the gray piece inside the pool. The black is a rubber sleeve that is connected to the pool liner. The gray return pipe slides into the black rubber sleeve, then the hose is slid over this, and the clamp is tightened down. The rubber is flexible and creates the water tight seal when clamped.
full

Perhaps you can post an up close detail shot of your hose to pool connection and we can compare these.

You said something about not leaking at the clamp but at the pool. It shouldn’t be able to leak at the clamp, the clamp should fully be on the hose. Is it leaking at the end of the hose or at the joint to the pool itself?

6B68AC67-8B9C-409E-B0D6-A155513A31DF.jpeg

For leaks, it’s often helpful to dry the entire thing off with a dry cloth, then watch for the water to start leaking out again to determine where exactly the leak is coming from.

Oh, forgot to say. If your joint is like this, I’m pretty sure but not certain that here on TFP I’ve seen this leak when the clamp was applied to the wrong area on the hose, and once it appeared the OP did not fully insert the return piece with the rigid pipe, so the clamp was clamping on the flexible rubber which collapsed without the return pipe inside and did not allow a seal.

Mine does not have a metal clamp like that. It is a plastic clamp with a piece coming off it that you turn to tighten by hand. It has been ok since install last Spring. Just started all of a sudden. I will investigate further when I have more daylight to see better and will post what I find. Thanks for your feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.