Return jets - with or without eyeballs?

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Hi folks:

Pool newbie here. I've got a 32K gallon gunite pool. The pool has 2 return jets from the pump, neither of which have eyeballs.

My question is...is there a benefit to having eyeballs? And if so how do I install? It looks as if there is no place to connect them. My return jets are just simple PVC pipes that end at the side of the gunite. There are no threads, holes, etc.

You don't need them, but having them is nice to direct water so you get better circulation. Your pool might do fine without. I use mine to create a circular flow of water that pushes floating debris towards the skimmer. You can also point an eyeball up to cause some turbulence aeration to raise pH. As far as installing them, I'm not sure. My guess is that you'd need to drain enough water to get them dry and glue in a fitting that has threads.

The main reason to have an eyeball is to cause surface turbulence and aid skimming they don't do much to aid filtering. They do make push in eyeballs but you would have to check with the vendor to ensure they will fit with what you have. If you don't have a need for improved skimming I would not worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.