Retrofit eco-pump to replace ZTS100?

bgpbucko

Jan 31, 2019
Australia
My old ZTS100 seems to be losing its bearings and is squealing a fair bit. I've cleaned it out and tried to lubricate but it's still noisy.

So I'm contemplating replacing it, and also going for an Eco pump. Problem is, it's not easy to find out exactly which Eco pumps can be swapped without changing plumbing - ideally the replacement has the plumbing threads in the same place.

Are there any resources for finding these out? Right now I've been looking at the dimensions shown on pump brochures.
Oddly, it seems Zodiac's own Eco pumps wont fit in place (in my case the pump body is too long at least).

It seems the Onga Suplerflo VS800 will drop right in - overall size and in/outlet placement looks similar to ZTS100, though I'd appreciate any advice before ordering one (and finding I've missed something important).

Hey bucko! :wave: Looks like your thread has been sitting here all alone with no replies. Well, I figured it's time to get this thing moving if it's not too late already. We have some great motor experts here that can be "pinged" if you still need the help. If it becomes an issue trying to source products locally, we have other members "down under" who will be happy to help as well. Just let us know. Take care.

Hello Bucko,

First, can you be more specific when you mean replace it w an "eco"? If you mean Hayward ecostar, you will really want to reconsider that decision. Google that pump and you will see it has tons of issues...the drive fails all the time and it's $600 for part alone

Post back and let's see how you answer...

So I'd just want to replace the zodiac with a variable speed. I wanted to find something that would fit my existing plumbing. Even harder, the physical location is fairly constrained so it needs to be nearly as compact.

I never was able to find a pump with the same fittings in the same location. Apparently they're all different, no standards in the industry.

So I bought the onga, but it's just a little bit different than the zodiac. The 4 year warranty is nice, plus we have strong warranty laws here that probably make that 5y+.

I plan to get the plumbing slightly modified to fit, the pump supplier can do that for me.

My zodiac bearings are whining in the meantime but hey, it still pumps enough.

Good deal, sounds like you're set.

Following up.

I finally got the new pump installed, but yes it turns out every model of pump is just different enough to need plumbing changes.

The supplier came out and did a great job installing it with minor plumbing changes, and my power usage has gone down by half.

At install time, the old zodiac bearings were really screaming. Now I can barely hear it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.