Northwest Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Hello, very new here and I've been searching and reading and learning quite a bit! THANKS to all who dedicate time for teaching! I am considering an above ground pool next spring and am reading as much as I can in the meantime to hopefully make appropriate choices. I have seen a lot of people say to get a pool with as much resin as possible. Can you guys help me understand a couple things about this?

1. Are resin components better only when considering saltwater systems?

2. Is resin prone to weaken and crack or break during harsh temperatures over Northern Illinois winters (sometimes double digit below zero), or just with the weather fluctuation in general between such hot summers and cold winters?

3. Is resin/steel combo better and if so, in what combination? Likely top and/or bottom rails resin, wall steel?

4. Is it dumb to be concerned of resin components failing since the warranties seem to be much longer (assuming this means these components will last longer)?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Single mom here doing my best to be smart with my money and still provide some fun in this crazy world.

Hey CJ and welcome. I would want a resin pool if i was buying one. The more the better and it would justify the price premium IMHO. I believe the stories about resin not handling the cold are just that, stories. Maybe with earlier generations, which have been fixed, or just manufacturer lies trying to push their own pools instead. I have read hundreds of above ground pool threads and havent seen a frozen/broken resin pool yet. Wanna guess how many rusted pool threads there were ?? Yeah, tons and tons. Hot, cold, aluminum, steel, legs, walls, top rails, bottom tracks, skimmer and return holes.... it doesn't matter they all rust eventually whether or not you choose salt. Many in just a few years because something scratched or rubbed the finish on the metal pool part(s). If something scratches an all resin pool, its scratched and thats it.

Hi Cjaj123

I live in Quebec, Canada and we see some very harsh winters, some days -30s! We had an issue approx. a month ago and our 24' AG pool had to be disassembled for a few days. I was amazed at how well the resin components held out. Only the walls and posts are metal - everything else is resin and after 8 years, these components still look brand new. I'd go 100% with resin.

Reactions: Rick Sniders
Only the walls and posts are metal - everything else is resin and after 8 years, these components still look brand new
They are making resin walled pools now. Some members even have them. @jcp is one

Reactions: Mdragger88
I just wanted to chime in that they make resin walls now, but NewDude already did! I am saving my pennies for one of these next year.

Thank you all! I will go for the most resin I can. Maybe I can spend the next several months learning if installing myself is possible and save some of the cost there. I know its not as easy as the videos make it look!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.