Replacing old concrete pool deck with pavers

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I have an old concrete pool deck that is cracking and sinking. It needs to be replaced. I am thinking of using pavers rather than poured concrete. There are drain pipes under the deck and if there is ever a problem with then it will be much easier to remove the pavers to get to the pipes rather than tearing up poured concrete.

Pavers look nicer, and the lower cost ones are only slightly more expensive than poured concrete.

I am just learning about this. Am I missing anything important?

Reactions: Tpettit
When you use pavers and polymeric sand rather than concrete, do you get some water seeping through the cracks into the ground below?

Drainage is an issue where I am working. Are the pavers more likely to shift over time than concrete, so that in a few years I would not have exactly the same slope for drainage?

Yes, pavers can shift. I have concrete but my neighbor had pavers around his pool. He had his contractor over 3 times to lift the pavers after they subsided to put more sand under them. He also had to take care of weeds growing in the joints all the time. When he sold the house, the new homeowner pulled up all the pavers and had concrete poured.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.