Replacing old 10" and 6" light fixtures

PhilTX

Gold Supporter
Aug 12, 2017
Leander, TX
Last year I finally got the remainder of my pool pad replaced (new Pentair 4HP VSF pump and Intellicenter).

I'm now finally at a point where I need (and can) to replace my light fixtures - I have 2 dead 10" in the main pool and a 6" in the spa that still works - but the chrome ring is looking a bit corroded.

All 3 of them get power off of a single 120v circuit coming from the Intellicenter (after having done some reading here, I know I have a GFCi breaker, and likely a transformer in the panel). The power line runs to a double rheostat electrical box (6" is wired through directly, the two 10" are each on a dimmer).

I received several quotes from several local pool people, all were over 4k which seems crazy to me - I could be wrong as this is the first time I've had to replace pool lights.

My question is this - what's the easiest route to take for replacing these? Simply find some new 10" and 6" fixtures for incandescent? Are those even still a thing or am I stuck using some sort of 12v LED now?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

I haven't found a single nicheless LED that's worth a flip. If the fixtures themselves need to be replaced, I would do so and throw a retrofit LED bulb in there like the FL Sunseeker/Pool Tone lamps. I would do this if even I were building a NEW pool.

If just the bulb is bad, you don't need to replace the whole fixture, just replace the bulbs with the LED lamp and throw a new OEM gasket in there. That's what I did. I replaced the 500w incandescent in my Pentair/Amerilite fixture with the 120v 35w FL Sunseeker RGB LED lamp.

You will not be able to use a dimmer with the LED bulbs.

I haven't found a single nicheless LED that's worth a flip. If the fixtures themselves need to be replaced, I would do so and throw a retrofit LED bulb in there like the FL Sunseeker/Pool Tone lamps. I would do this if even I were building a NEW pool.

If just the bulb is bad, you don't need to replace the whole fixture, just replace the bulbs with the LED lamp and throw a new OEM gasket in there. That's what I did. I replaced the 500w incandescent in my Pentair/Amerilite fixture with the 120v 35w FL Sunseeker RGB LED lamp.

You will not be able to use a dimmer with the LED bulbs.
I think at least the two 10" need replacing as I replaced the bulbs at the start of last season and they were both dead within 3 months. One of the housings glass looks "darkened" like the bulb exploded or something.

Good to know old fashioned is still a viable way - because I don't like the LED for pool - I like the bright.

Did you replace the gaskets last time around? I went ham cleaning the glass and fixture when I replaced my bulb because I was paranoid about leaks. I put a light coating of Magic Lube on each side hoping it would help seal. Good so far and I don't see any moisture in the housing after a month.

For what it's worth, one of the all-white 35W LEDs would probably be much brighter than the old 500w incandescent while sucking down significantly less power. Just something to keep in mind.

Did you replace the gaskets last time around? I went ham cleaning the glass and fixture when I replaced my bulb because I was paranoid about leaks. I put a light coating of Magic Lube on each side hoping it would help seal. Good so far and I don't see any moisture in the housing after a month.

For what it's worth, one of the all-white 35W LEDs would probably be much brighter than the old 500w incandescent while sucking down significantly less power. Just something to keep in mind.
I did not think to replace the gaskets and that's probably what did me in. Going to order up two of the Pentair 50' Amerilite 500W setups, will try an LED bulb for it. Thanks for the tips, very helpful.

I'm not sure about that. 500W incandescents put out at least 5500 lumens. I don't think you can find an LED replacement that comes close to this.

So I ordered up two of the Amerilite 500W housings ($383 each on Amazon - got them in two days - lower wattages were more expensive). Replaced both in less than two hours without incident. Back in business better than ever.

Reactions: JWeiss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.