Replacing my pool - more sand and lime dust??

Bif_

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2015
Sellersburg, IN
Replacing my 19 year old pool, going from a 27' to a 24' diameter. Installer said I need 2-1/2 tons each of mason sand and lime dust.

Do I really need more lime dust? The current pool bottom is no longer smooth, some cracks/ crevices. I know the sand will likely mostly be used but not sure I need more lime dust.

Thoughts or comments?

I would guess they think you need the lime to compact and form a stable, level area, since you’ve got some cracks and such. What are they saying is the reason?

I was told by them that a new pool installation would need 5 tons of each and 2.5 tons each for installation where a pool was previously installed.

What you said makes sense. They told my wife today 2.5 tons of each would be adequate "if most of the sand/ lime dust was still there". Not sure what they thought I'd have done with any of it LOL. It's ALL THERE.

I did a bit of research. Seems 2.5 tons of sand over the area of the pool will be about 1" depth of material. Not really that much.

I would err on the side of caution. You want a good base to last another 20 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.