Replacing complete cartridge pool filter - help needed

Apr 4, 2017
Cypress, TX
I currently have a Hayward Super Star Clear C4000. I can't find specs on it, but would assume the naming conventions hold true and it is 400sq ft. The alternative/newer replacement for that filter is the
Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter 425 sqft at $1,179. Really do not want to spend that kind of money!

Is there a better alternative? What if I went with a used Hayward C5025 525sq ft. Does the size matter in regards to pressures? Pool operations?

A picture of the used one in question is attached. Other than checking things like threads and if it leaks, what should I check? It's obviously not currently hooked up, so can't put it under pressure.

Attachments

• Used Hayward C5025.png
    Used Hayward C5025.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 9
Bigger is usually always better because it means less time between cleanings.

What is wrong with your current filter?

The used filter looks a little rough. A lot of corrosion on the band. The problem with used filters it is very easy to overlook hairline cracks.

Bigger is usually always better because it means less time between cleanings.

What is wrong with your current filter?

The used filter looks a little rough. A lot of corrosion on the band. The problem with used filters it is very easy to overlook hairline cracks.
Current filter had the pressure gauge/relief valve strip the internal threads. How this happened, I don't know. Had to improvise and just shut the whole thing off.

Attachments

• 20190815_133202.jpg
    20190815_133202.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.