Replacing a single speed pump motor with a dual speed motor

Apr 11, 2016
Dallas, TX
I have a Pentair WF-26 1.5 HP pool pump, and the motor has seen better days. I'm beginning to look into replacing the motor, and based on what I've read in the threads, I should be ok switching from a single speed to a dual speed motor, as long as I change out the timer as well, correct?

I've looked and found replacement motors for the Pentair WF-26 and it appears that my replacing it with a motor for the WFDS-26 would be the proper replacement and would get dual speed.

I have an Intermatic PF1102T timer connected to the pump and it looks like I would need to switch to one of their dual timers, maybe the PF1202T, if I want to maintain the freeze protection. I've seen the T106 as the suggested secondary timer, and the PF1202T comes with dual T104s, not sure if that will work for what I want or not.

Does that all sound correct?

Would the energy savings of a dual speed pump be worth the additional $150 for the pump motor and the $350 for the timer? Or, am I better off just replacing the motor with a single speed? If I'm saving $30/month, then it pays itself off in 17 months, but if my savings is $10/month, then it is 50 months before I recoup the savings.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Gonzo

If you get a B2982T, it comes with it's own 2 speed timer. Does your current tuner control anything else?

The pool cleaner booster pump timer is wired into the load, so that the booster pump only runs when the pool pump is on. The timer itself doesn't control more than the pool pump.

So, if I get a replacement motor with the 2 speed timer mounted on it, as long as I get one compatible with my existing set up, I can use the same plumbing, and just change out the motor?

My current motor is an up rate 1.5 HP with a S.F. of 1.1, so a 1.65 HPSF.

Do I want to go with the B2982T or the B2983T?

Pump B2982T is a FULL RATE 1hp, 1.65 SF = 1.65 HPSF
Pump B2983T is a FULL RATE 1.5hp, 1.47 SF = 2.205 HPSF

Gonzo

Something else just dawned on me from the follow up question and my response:

Does the timer on the B2982T replace the pool pump timer completely, or does that just manage the 2 speeds? Am I getting rid of PF1120T as a result of getting the pump motor with the timer?

Since the booster pump is wired into the load of the pool pump timer, would I have to re-wire the booster pump, and if so, can I wire it into the pool pump, or should I just wire it directly into the wiring at the breaker, and just hope that the pool pump timer and the booster pump timer don't get out of sync.

Anyone with thoughts on how to address a booster pump in this setup, if I switch to a dual speed with the digital timer? Is my only option to get a dual speed without the digital timer and get a second time for controlling the high and low speeds?

I don't think the motor timer will support the booster. But there are a couple of options.

You can get the motor without the timer and use your existing timer to turn it on and off. If you want timer control for the speeds too, you can get a second timer that will switch the speeds or you can switch them manually. That may work out ok since the booster should be able to work with low speed so you could just keep it in low speed all the time and just switch to high speed when needed.

If you like the motor with the timer, what you could do is put the timer's in series and then set the motor timer for 24/7 operation and the Intermatic would then be used for just on and off while the motor timer would be used to switch between speeds.

I haven't done it yet, but plan to soon. I'm now leaning towards using an Intermatic PE1353 and replacing both timers with 1 timer.

For a motor, I'm thinking I'm going with a dual speed 1 HP full rate (1.65 SF) to replace my existing motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That timer will definitely be more flexible.......... But you gotta program it :rant::rant:

True. I just thought convenience of one box would outweigh adding a third box, the additional conduit, and keeping three timers in sync, etc. etc.

My concern more than programming is mechanical just works, forever, whereas there seems to be more that can go wrong with digital.

i read the manual on the PE1353 this am.
I think it perfect solution. appears to be easy to program.
holds time for 8 hrs in power failure. can't overlap times, will start pump into high mode no matter what if cleaner is coming on.

Finally got around to replacing the motor and installing the P1353.

Here's my feedback:

Positives:

1. Motor is super quiet and was fairly easy to replace. Good videos on inyopools.com on replacing motors and shaft seals. Recommend getting the new gaskets and make sure you have lube.

2. I like the cleanliness of having 1 timer box instead of 3 (had 2, would have had to add a third if went with a mechanical timer).

3. The ability to do a number of programming sets with the digital timer is good, more flexible than the mechanical.

4. The timer automatically engaging high speed when cleaner is on is a good feature.

Negatives:

1. If you manually turn on one of the circuits, there doesn't appear to be a way to re-engage the automated program, as far as I can tell. I turned off the pump to clean out the pump basket and when I re engaged the pump, it just stayed on past the scheduled end. The manual was a bit confusing to me. I thought i read it to say that auto programming would re engage after an auto scheduled off. So, I expected it to do just that. Maybe it was because I manually engaged the high during a timed low, and so maybe it was waiting for the next scheduled 'high' off.

I did read that I can do a countdown timer and have the auto process still engaged. So if I wanted to run the cleaner for an extra hour, I can schedule an impromptu 1 hour run and it would re-engage the auto schedule.

Probably user error rather than control error.

2. The timer has a freeze protection feature, but you have to buy the freeze sensor separately. So expect to spend another $50 for that.

I'm real happy with the choice I made of going to a dual speed and using the P1353 now, hopefully my electric bill reflects the benefit.

I'm busy researching the ideal amount of time to run my pump in high and low now.

Gonzo

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.