Replacement SWG

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
I have an Aquarite T-9 system that was installed in 2014. There is no automation to the system. The box and cell are both dead. I tried to do the troubleshooting for the box and replacing the main board didn't help.

Can I change current system to AQR940 without doing any modifications to plumbing, electrical, etc?
-----
ETA: why is there a ~$500 price difference between the AQR940 from the pool store and the Hayward T-15? AQR940 is around $980 with tax. Hayward T-15 is about $1600 with tax.

Last edited:
It is strange that the controller is “dead”. Is the fuse blown? is there power to the transformer? Output from the transformer? What troubleshooting have you done? It’s a shame to buy a whole new system if you can get that one working with just a new cell and a fuse. If you do replace the unit (or the cell), go with the largest cell you can afford. In Hayward that’s a t15 (40k). Cells are generally rated based on running 24/7 at 100%.

940 is an extended life version of the T15 cell.

The aquarite generator box is the same, both cell is set to T-15 cell selection.

You can replace the board in aquarite instead buying a new box. (most of the time main board is bad, and display board is still working)

Prices have increased dramatically due to supply chain issues that have driven everything up dramatically during Covid including titanium (the plates) and the rare metals coatings that are applied to catalyze the reaction to produce chlorine instead of just splitting water molecules into H and O. Good news is that much of this is temporary. I've already seen lumber drop from $1500 to $650 in the last 3 weeks. Steel is dropping too and many will be down to near normal by end of year according to the materials purchasing experts I work with. Fingers crossed they are right! Also some manufacturers were having a hard time getting materials at any cost so they purchased stock at these insane prices. That may slow the rate of price change. If it were me I'd try to defer this stuff 'till the fall and see if prices are dropping.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: appstategrad
It is strange that the controller is “dead”. Is the fuse blown? is there power to the transformer? Output from the transformer? What troubleshooting have you done? It’s a shame to buy a whole new system if you can get that one working with just a new cell and a fuse. If you do replace the unit (or the cell), go with the largest cell you can afford. In Hayward that’s a t15 (40k). Cells are generally rated based on running 24/7 at 100%.

It was a very hard lightning strike last fall that caused whatever happened. I had problems elsewhere in the house from this same strike. I tried the troubleshooting guide several weeks ago, no help. I did order a replacement main and display board combination, which did not solve the problem. There could have been an issue with that particular board, but I didn't have another way to test it. I had someone else to check it all out just in case I missed something, but they didn't see anything else. I needed to bite the bullet and upgrade to the T-15 cell anyway. Thanks all!

I've been shopping for an IC60 for a few months now, I had one in my cart in late winter and didn't make the buy. Now with liquid chlorine being hard to find (at least in my area, nothing at WalMart nor Leslies for 10 days), I pulled the trigger on a Circupool RJ60. It should be delivered tomorrow as will the new Intelliflo VS pump. I've been wanting to redo our pool equipment pad, so this will be a good start. The price increases are a little painful, but I don't want to use pucks for too long and battle CYA again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.