Replacement for Tristar 2HP Pump with Paramount Cleaning Jets

Dru

Mar 29, 2014
Las Vegas
I have a 7 year old Hayward Tristar 2HP pump that is probably going to die in the next year or two (it is making that whiny sound that indicates bad bearings I think). When it dies I would like to replace it with a pump that is quieter and has less vibration. Everyone recommends a variable speed pump, but because I have a floor cleaning system that relies on a certain amount of pressure I have a few questions. I also have a rooftop solar system that needs to pump the water up about 25 feet.

Current pump: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP3220EE-TriStar-Energy-Efficient/dp/B002GP5WBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496523082&sr=8-1&keywords=hayward+tristar+2hp

Floor Cleaner: http://www.kynimagine.com/cleaner.pdf

Questions:

1. Would a new identical Hayward Tristar replacement pump be quieter? Or would it be about the same as the one I have now?
2. Is it a good idea to put a vibration pad between the pump and the concrete slab in order to reduce the noise and vibration?
3. If I get a variable speed pump and just dial up the speed until the pressure is about the same as it is now (~30psi), would the floor cleaning system work just like it does now? Or is there something more than pressure to consider with the cleaning jets?
4. What is a good pump brand to install in this situation?

Thanks for any help, not many people seem to have the floor cleaners around here so it's hard for me to trust the advice I've gotten so far.

Just replaced my 2hp Pump motor this morning...$550 single speed. The Pool contractor that replaced it said, "I came out here within 2 hours of your call on a Saturday ONLY because you have a great/easy pump to replace. If it was a Hayward, it would have been next week-sometime." My old pump that died after 8-10 years was whisper quiet, even before it quit working. I had no clue it was "dying". I had and have again, an A.O. Smith /Pentair Whisperflo. Everywhere I have looked on the net, they have great reviews. Its soooooooo quiet and electric bill is very low. They dont cost $550, but that is what the guy charged to go get it and install it. I think they are around $300. And yes, I have a pool cleaner. on all the time. PS Next time it goes out, I saw what he did, I will do it myself...Im a woman.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.