Replacement Filter

td3201

May 2, 2018
Lincoln, NE
I’m looking to replace my cartridge filter with a sand filter. I currently have a Sta-Rite PLM 150 with a Pentair Superflo 1HP Single Stage pump. The heater is a Raypak P-M206A. It lools like the pump has a 1.5” outlet and the current filter is 2”. I was looking at the Hayward 22” Sand Filter. It looks like I can get a 1.5” or 2” valve. What should I get?

Why in the world would you do that? You are replacing a minimal maintenance filter with a "maximal" maintenance filter. IMO Sand and DE filters should be phased out for good.

Reactions: newdude
The yearly maintenance of removing and cleaning carts, and removing the MPV for deep cleaning a sand filter are probably half a dozen or 6. The sand filter also needs somewhat regular backwashing while the carts don't get touched between big cleanings.

People often change styles when they're unhappy with the cleaning frequency, but it's almost always a size issue, not a style issue. They get a properly sized (read, oversized) new filter and think the change did the trick. A larger whatever they had would have done the same.

Reactions: Donldson
Not to mention the addition of the multiport valve (MPV). It is not a question of "if", but "when" that MVP will break. You also need to find a place to dump that backwash. It is chlorinated, salty water.

Not to mention the addition of the multiport valve (MPV). It is not a question of "if", but "when" that MVP will break. You also need to find a place to dump that backwash. It is chlorinated, salty water.
The current filter has a drain line plumbed in. Figured I could use that. Otherwise, I have an easement that I can dump into no problem.

I have a 15k gallon pool.
Depth (gallons) is irrelevant. The surface area of the crud vaccum...... I mean.... pool... is a better gauge. The amount of trees and debris makers you have makes a big difference too. Got pics of the yard ?

Sadly, builders never reference the things that matter and put a larger filter on a deeper pool with more gallons and vice/versa.

Also, is it an in ground or above ground ? An above ground is shielded from stuff blowing across the yard, but takes the same falling debris if trees are nearby.

It is an in ground. About 33’ x 15’ and somewhat kidney shaped. There are trees around it. and depending on the year, most of the seeds fall before I open it, rest is just normal junk that falls. But, on average, it for sure is a dirtier pool than most for those reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd go with 400+ sq ft carts then. There is no too big so comlare the costs of the 500 models and do not hesitate if it's negligible.

Filters last a generation, so divide that extra $200(?) by 25 years and it's really a no brainer to ensure you can easily handle heavy debris times. Would you pay $8 a season to clean the filters 25% less ? I would. Lol.