Replace Fiberstars FiberOptic Inground Pool Light

I had 3 fiber stars towers on the pool when I bought my house. The fiber stars are pretty easy to work on.

If your light isnt bright and you are a little handy, start by turning off the power, taking off the tower cover and cleaning the top of the fiber bundle and the reflector above the lamp
In mine they were both covered in dirt and dust from years of the fan running. If the top of your fiber bundle is dirty like mine were a quick wipe with a damp rag will produce noticeable increase in light ....

I was able to get the lights better by doing that

Ive since refurbed the pool and am down to one fiberstar tower...

The PB replaced some of the lights with Jandy LEDs. The small ones will go in the fiber star niche

After reading this recommendation, others, and looking at this and looking into this option a bit more - is there any way of retrofitting the fiberoptic lights with somethign that does not cost $700+? It looks like this option involves a $200-300 light (per light) plus a Power Tower/Transformer (about $450) for the light to plug into. One option appears to also need the "tower base" (for $60), though I am not sure if that is mandatory.

My fiberoptic has never worked since we purchased the house and inherited the pool 3 years ago.

We don't really need the pool light that much and with other needs/expenses for the pool, spending $700 is not in the cards this year. I would love to get this fixed though. Maybe just wait until I can do it right with this equipment?

After reading this recommendation, others, and looking at this and looking into this option a bit more - is there any way of retrofitting the fiberoptic lights with somethign that does not cost $700+? It looks like this option involves a $200-300 light (per light) plus a Power Tower/Transformer (about $450) for the light to plug into. One option appears to also need the "tower base" (for $60), though I am not sure if that is mandatory.

My fiberoptic has never worked since we purchased the house and inherited the pool 3 years ago.

We don't really need the pool light that much and with other needs/expenses for the pool, spending $700 is not in the cards this year. I would love to get this fixed though. Maybe just wait until I can do it right with this equipment?

The tower is all you would need.
Fibers don’t fail, unless they were cracked (can’t splice them either.)

The tower is all you would need.
Fibers don’t fail, unless they were cracked (can’t splice them either.)

I am thinking that it would not be worth it to repair the fiberoptic option due to complaints about brightness and the fibers wearing out sooner. It seems like retro-fitting it to the LED option as noted above would be best, but it just seems like an expensive option on the heels of replacing my pump with a variable speed pump last weekend :eek:

So I guess the option is buy a transformer and fix the fiberoptic option that exists already for the $400 range or get the LED light too and go for the full LED conversion.

I assume from everything that I have read that the LED option involves the power tower similar to the fiberoptic that I am replacing?
If that is the case, can I just buy a tower such as the "Fiberstars PT 6000" and run the existing fiberoptics to it for now, and upgrade to LED later. (i.e. piecemeal this together). Or does that tower only work for the LED retrofit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.