Replace dual pump solar with single pump

ribbonofblack

Jan 14, 2020
Adelaide/Australia
I have recently moved into a house with a pool and have been maintaining it using the TFP method for the past 8 months. It's been going well, I'd be lost without it.

The pool has two pumps:
- one from the skimmer (no other points? How can I tell?). This goes through the filter, SWG then returns into the deep end of the pool
- one from two or three inlets in the deep end about 1/3 depth. This goes through the solar heater on the roof (black rubber tubing style) then retuens into the shallow end of the pool

In my mind it is not efficient to be running two pumps during the summer just to be able to heat the water. Is it possible to remove the solar pump and replace it with a valve that can either direct water straight back into the pool or send it through the solar heater then back in?
I'm thinking a two speed pump will be good for this? I could then run low speed for most of the time and just utilize high speed for when I'm using the solar or vacuuming.
What would you do with the then unused inlet/outlets that are currently used for the solar loop?

Here's a couple of pictures of the equipment if it helps.
IMG_6020.JPG

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can certainly do what you describing. Here is a diagram that might help.

1591129793677.png

Thanks Mas985! It has certainty been a valuable resource as I learn how to manage a pool.

That picture helps quite allot.

Regarding the suction/return:
Would it be best to just go through the skimmer or get another 3 way valve to choose between the skimmer and the other inlets about 1/3 pool depth?
Same question for the return - return all through one or mix between both?

Can you post some pics of the inlets in the pool wall? If you are going to repipe to one pump a VS is ideal but 2 speed works too. I would try to use as many valves as possible to gain maximum flexibility of all suction and return piping. You will also need a solar controller. You could upgrade to a VS with a matching automation panel and have that control it all.

Regarding the suction/return:
Would it be best to just go through the skimmer or get another 3 way valve to choose between the skimmer and the other inlets about 1/3 pool depth?
Same question for the return - return all through one or mix between both?
I would keep all the lines but most of the time, you will want to use the skimmer solo to maximize the skimming ability, especially on low speed. As for the return lines, use both but make sure you can control the flow to each. I would use 2-way valves with a manifold rather than 3-way valves.

1591191007662.png

Can you post some pics of the inlets in the pool wall? If you are going to repipe to one pump a VS is ideal but 2 speed works too. I would try to use as many valves as possible to gain maximum flexibility of all suction and return piping. You will also need a solar controller. You could upgrade to a VS with a matching automation panel and have that control it all.

Here’s a photo showing the inlets. There are three low on the wall and the skimmer.
The one high on the left hand side is the main outlet. Solar outlet is down the other end.
Also, does anyone know what‘s on the floor of the pool? Is that a main drain?76185E6A-C4CB-4FD8-B642-E94253B42856.jpeg

That's a wierd plumbing setup pool wise. The floor may be a hydrostatic plug. looks like a fiberglass pool they usually dont install anything in the floor so you would have to get a better pic. What does the pad look like are the lines seperate where you can valve them off and have some flexibility

That's a wierd plumbing setup pool wise. The floor may be a hydrostatic plug. looks like a fiberglass pool they usually dont install anything in the floor so you would have to get a better pic. What does the pad look like are the lines seperate where you can valve them off and have some flexibility

I should be able to get some flexibility, at the pad I have:
1. Return via that outlet you can see up the deep end (currently this is where the main pump goes)
2. Return via an outlet at the shallow end (currently this is where the solar goes
3. Suction via skimmer (currently main pump)
4. Suction via the inlets you can see in the photo above - not sure if it’s all of them or not? (currently this is for the solar pump)

Not sure if this picture helps:
49F3438D-F0B0-4370-9019-DAB1DA099FE1.jpeg

Thas better than most setups. Single pump will work fine with a solar controller. I would tie system together and use valves on each line. Just be careful on where you end up with the solar 3way valve it has only 1 spot it can go really. Plumb around that fitting

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.