Removing Frog Cycler

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The previous homeowners installed the Frog Cycler to the pool pump. We do not use it but now water is leaking out from the top of the cycler. I noticed that the pool water level is dropping more rapidly and I think the leak is effecting the flow of the return line. I think my husband can remove the cycler but I'm not really sure how. Do I need to drain the pool water below the return line before removing the cycler? Is it as simple as detaching the hose from the Frog Cycler and attaching the hose back to the pump? Please see the photos attached.

Attachments

• 20200808_183440.jpg
    20200808_183440.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200808_173006.jpg
    20200808_173006.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200808_173024.jpg
    20200808_173024.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 32
All that silicone😱
Get u something to plug the skimmer- like a gizmo or a raquetball- using a sock is a risky move as it may get lodged in the line.

I'm confused. I have a racquetball but that is not going to stay in the skimmer. It just floats to the top. What's going to happen once we remove the frog? Is water going to come out of the sand filter or out the other hose? I have attached another picture. Do the two black ends connect or do I connect the black end on the right to the gray end?

Attachments

• 20200817_173630.jpg
    20200817_173630.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 12
I had to kinda squeeze my raquet ball to get it in the hole a bit. Some have had luck with a coke bottle or similar. They also sell plugs for a few $ that will fit in there.
turn the filter to backwash so you wont have to worry about water coming from the filter.
Loosen the hose clamp on the white hose & pull it off of the black barbed connector. If you have a helper they can hold the hose higher than the water level & that should prevent an intense water rush as well .
Next unscrew the black barbed connector from the frog.
Then unscrew the pipe & frog assembly from the filter .
Screw the black barbed connector into the filter (use some teflon tape)
Then push the white hose on to the barbed connector & tighten the hose clamp.
Remove plug from skimmer - turn the filter back to filter & unscrew the pump basket lid to get the air out of the line & prime the pump.
Turn it on, check for leaks & tighten connections as necessary.
Lastly Have a cool beverage & enjoy your pool 😁

Theres a gasket in there that can go bad or get pinched. Mine has a little drip in the collar but i have decided to wait to try to remedy it when I replace my zeo with sand.
This explains the anatomy of a sand filter 👇

Wow! There were provisions for screw on fittings and someone SHOVED a tiny pipe inside and then filled with silicone? Yikes! And then a flex pipe on the outlet? Double yikes!

Get thy some PVC!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.