PammyB

Jun 27, 2021
Hudson, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is it necessary to remove antifreeze ( pink RV kind) from the lines ? If so how / at what point in opening procedure is this done? I have a sand filter with a waste line if that’s relevant.

Thank you!

It's easy enough to fire it up to waste the first time and get the suction side antifreeze out. It sure can't hurt to dump half of it.

So do this as the first step in opening up?
If you are referring to purging AF from the suction line to WASTE, sure. You can. Should only take a few seconds. Then put back into filter mode and purge the return lines.

Reactions: Newdude
Sorry you are going to have to spell it out for me :
In steps for opening up do I do this prior to cleaning sand filter or afterwards?
I turn filter to waste , let it flow out for a bit then turn it to filter mode and do the same ( if I turn it to filter won’t it go in the pool ? )

Sorry you are going to have to spell it out for me :
Ha. No worries. Since you are opening your pool from its winter sleep, there should be no need to clean your sand filter. At least not right now. Your first order of business is to get everything connected and start-up your system to get water moving. When doing the initial pump start, one suggestion was to leave the MPV in WASTE so that the antifreeze from your skimmer to the pump can get pushed out to the grass. Even if it went back to the pool it's not a deal-breaker, but a few seconds to WASTE is easy. After that, put the MPV back to filter and let your system run like normal. Any antifreeze on the pressure/return side will blow out from the jets into the pool, but that's okay.

Once the pump is running for a while, you can take a water sample and start balancing your chemicals. Perhaps do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test if needed to ensure you have no algae.

make sense?

Sorry you are going to have to spell it out for me
Please ask us to slow it down or rewind, anytime. :)
Even if it went back to the pool it's not a deal-breaker, but a few seconds to WASTE is easy.
Exactly.
Any antifreeze on the pressure/return side will blow out from the jets into the pool, but that's okay
Also exactly. You'll save half of it from going in the pool with very little effort.

I even got most of the return half out because my equipment pad was disassembled. I popped the return plugs and let the pipes fill. Then I blew them to the pad with my shop vac. I let them fill again and blew them again. I wouldn't have taken this step if the equipment was all put together, but if you can easily pull something at the pad to make an open line to drain, it was easy and got most of it out.

Maybe after you have a couple rodeos under your belt we'll revisit this because it will all be second nature by then. It's alot to process the first time. :)

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.