Remodel questions - Beadcrete ok to use? What about a Travertine tile deck?

Oct 13, 2012
Dallas, Texas
We're about to jump into a pool remodel. We love the look of beadcrete by Pebbletec and are wondering about the long term viability of the product. Not too many hits for it using the search feature, mostly older posts.

Right now, we have 25 year old gunite and want to upgrade.

Your thoughts?

On the deck, we have exposed aggregate that we will have to replace, approx. 1100 sf of it (ouch!). Thinking of going with travertine tiles, hopefully they'll be cool (we're in Dallas) and they'll resist movement from our ever-shifting clay soil.

What is the (not too) hot ticket on interior pool finishes and pool decks?

Thanks in advance for your input, it is appreciated!

Re: Remodel questions - Beadcrete ok to use? What about a Travetine tile deck?

Welcome to TFP! I would have loved to have had a Beadcrete pool with all that sparkle but it wasn't in the budget. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to help. As far as what's hot ticket for pool finishes, I think it might depend on your location. But, the pebble products are pretty popular. Aquabright is also starting to gather popularity at least on this forum. There is a wide variety of pool decks here, mostly dependent upon one's budget.

I know that really wasn't very helpful! LOL! Pool remodels are so exciting to watch! Make sure you post lots of pictures!

I just removed around 700 ft of concrete deck and put in travertine pavers. I'm in the Las Vegas area so very hot here, the travertine is cooler than concrete and we are loving it!

I replastered with quartz plaster due to budget constraints, so can't comment on the Beadcrete, but it sure looks pretty online!

When we built our pool 3 years ago, Beadcrete was our original selection. As we got closer to plaster time, our pool builder advised against it as they had seen situations where the beads would disengage from the plaster. Perhaps it was their 3rd party installer problem, or a product issue. We switched to a pebble finish. We live in South Texas and installed over 3,000 sq. ft. of travertine and love it. I always walk around barefoot and I don't have any issues as the travertine remains cool enough to walk or lay on.

We have pebbletec with "luminous" -- glass beads added. I like the mix of pebbles and glass beads best, personally, and am very happy with the finish.

Thanks for all the replies, they are appreciated!

I would expect some of the beads will disengage over time, just curious if it's a lot or a little. My understanding is that only approved installers can install the stuff, of which there are 3 installers in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

On the travertine pavers, I like the idea of a cooler deck. Any issues with staining? Is your deck sealed? Is it slippery?

As a side note, are there rules here that the PB (or remodeler) can't be named? It'd be nice to know who is recommended. No need to mention those that are not..................

We are about to install tumbled travertine tile around our pool on top of the concrete. We've had some sitting out there for days and it's cool to the feet. Also make sure to get the tumbled travertine so that it will absorb water and not be slick. We found a place that we ordered ours from (Turkey), and only paid like 2.34 a square foot for ivory French pattern. They are beautiful.

My travertine is not sealed and it is the natural, unfilled finish, so it absorbs water pretty quickly and it's got texture which helps it not be slippery. Staining could be a concern with unsealed travertine, but it's not a concern of ours due to our landscaping, well lack of lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.