Relocate Light Junction Box

Oct 9, 2018
Boca Raton, FL
Hi All. I’m having my patio enclosure extended, thereby creating more pool deck space for my travertine paver project.

The lights junction box would then be smack in the middle of newly created pool deck, so I’m trying to determine what goes into relocating it straight back about 8 feet to the block wall which you see in the picture. The existing pavers will be removed, so access to the existing conduit is very much possible.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 62C3B230-74BC-49DC-848A-B2E3E2EF44E5.jpeg
    62C3B230-74BC-49DC-848A-B2E3E2EF44E5.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to TFP!

You have three conduits.That likely means two lights. Is that correct?

Code allows for no splicing in the ground wire from the panel and you shouldn’t splice the light cables, so you likely will need new lights. Unless you are moving the junction box closer to the panel, you probably will need to replace that run as well.

The light wiring is pulled through the conduit from the pool to install. You normally cut the old wire at the pool end and use it to pull the new wire in.

Reactions: guinness
Welcome to TFP!

You have three conduits.That likely means two lights. Is that correct?

Code allows for no splicing in the ground wire from the panel and you shouldn’t splice the light cables, so you likely will need new lights. Unless you are moving the junction box closer to the panel, you probably will need to replace that run as well.

The light wiring is pulled through the conduit from the pool to install. You normally cut the old wire at the pool end and use it to pull the new wire in.

Thank you! It’s actually just one conduit, and two metal rods which I’d assume are merely supporting the box. It’s being relocated further away from the pool equipment which is on the opposite side of the pool. Sounds expensive if I bring an electrician in. I’m pretty handy, so if it’s a matter of pulling new cable through the conduit and buying a new light housing to pull that cable, I’d imagine I can tackle myself. I hope 😂

I lied..... there’s wires coming out of all 3 conduits. I’m assuming the middle large conduit is the home run back to the source near the pool equipment, and one of the small ones is the actual light. Not quite sure what would be in the 3rd 🤷🏻‍♂️

That looks like the perfect place for a built up box that hides the existing junction box.....

Moving that will be difficult and expensive when you factor in a new light with longer cord and all new conduit

Hadn’t thought of anything other than relocating since it’s right in the middle of the new pool deck.

Do you mind sharing a pic of a built up box or option as an alternative?
Mine was hidden in the bushes, but any kind of hollow decorative object could be placed over it. Heck, you could put a small table over it with a lounge chair on each side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.