Reintroduction of pool cover AFTER slam

BC in the Bay

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2013
Florida
Hi all,

I've just finished a SLAM after a little algae outbreak. I had a solar cover on the pool when the algae attacked and I took it off and rolled it up onto a holder during the SLAM process. I'm just wondering at what point I should put the cover back on given that it could potentially still have some algae rolled up in it (I'm assuming). Do you think I should put it back in now and continue the SLAM for another day or two to kill whatever is on it, or do you think it will get clean enough if I throw it back on with lower chlorine levels as long as they stay at a suitable range or maybe throw it back on now and just let the chlorine ride down to normal levels?

I should probably mention that I had to slam after jacking my CYA up to 80, so the chlorine level is pretty high - 31+ PPM.

Although the high chlorine level may be a bit harsh on the cover, solar covers are cheap, and you don’t want to have another algae outbreak. So if you are ever going to put that cover back on the pool, I would do it while you are at the higher chlorine level. I don’t know that is necessary to prolong the SLAM for any specific period. A day or two should be more than enough.

It's a good idea to splash some of the pool water on the top of the cover and brush it down. I have a discharge hose so I'll put the valve to discharge and spray down the cover, gently brush and then rinse it off. Just one less chance of getting that green back and also keep the cover looking fresh. Works good after a rain leaves a lot of dirt on the cover too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.