Reinstall Pentair Sand Filter drain

Jul 22, 2017
Durham, NC
While closing my pool last fall I wasn't paying close attention to how I was removing the sand filter (Pentair TA60) drain plug and I removed not only the plug, but the entire drain. It was obvious what I had done when sand and water began flowing out the bottom of the filter. I managed to partially thread the drain back in which allowed the water to drip out over several days.

Now that spring is here I need to figure out how to get the drain back into the filter. The problem is that sand gets into the treads of the drain which prevents it from threading back into the filter. Every time I clean the treads and try and insert the drain some sand falls from within the filter and gets into the treads again. I figure I have to remove all of the sand from the filter in order to reinstall the drain, but thought I'd ask here in case someone knows an easier way.

Thanks

Have a few ideas.

Take a shop vac, put filter on backwash, rinse, or waste and hook to backwash port on multiport.

Dump the sand out, fix the port, and then deep clean your sand per the article on here, probably needs to be done anyway.

Un hook the connections or take the multiport off the top, tip over on it's side.

Use compressed air to push some air in the drain when it binds up, probably the most risky move, easier to break something.

Thanks for the suggestions. Today I removed the multiport to begin removing the sand, but first made one last try at putting the drain back in and was successful. What a relief! Then I followed your advice and deep cleaned the sand. Yes, it was definitely needed.

Tomorrow I'll take the cover off the pool and open it for the season.

Thanks again

Well, when I removed the multiport and saw how much fun I was going to have removing the sand, I had some motivation to give it my best shot. I took my time removing all of the sand I could feel on the filter threads using a soft cloth and then was able to thread the drain back in. Probably as important is that I believe my prior attempts to put the drain in created a small cavity, free of sand above the opening. The still wet sand stuck together above the opening allowing me to insert the drain without it falling into the threads. Repeated tries and wet sand did the trick.

It's back together now and the system is up and running. The bad news is my dread of dealing with the filter delayed my opening of the pool and now I have some SLAMming to do...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.