Refilled Pool Balance

MethodAgent

Jul 11, 2020
Cypress, CA
We just refilled our pool last week, added salt and below are my current settings. We have a Nature2 Fusion Soft system. Below are the reading I am getting, even after doing a boost twice. I did add a sequestering agent during filling as well as a water clarifier. What is the nest next step to get my pH down and chlorine up?

pH = 8.2
Free Chlorine = 1 to 1.5
Combined Chlorine = 1
Salt = 3600
CH = 225
TA = 170
CYA = 30

Hi ther MethodAgent :) Welcome to TFP!

First, let me ask- why did you drain and refill the pool? What problems were you having?

Why did you use a sequestering agent?- what were you using it to avoid problems with?

Use Muriatic Acid to lower your pH. I'd take it down to 7.8 as a start.... better to lower in increments as 8.2 being the highest end of the scale on those testers, you might actually be higher?? Use PoolMath (either the phone app or the classic web version found at the bottom of this page) to tell you how much muriatic acid to use. PoolMath

As you lower your pH, it will help lower that high TA also. A side win! :goodjob:

Again, use PoolMath to tell you how much LIQUID chlorine to add to bring your FC up to aprox 5ppm. That is the amount that correlates with 30ppm of CYA. FC/CYA Levels

Are you using a SWG? If so take your CYA up to aprox 70ppm and take your FC up using liquid chlorine agagin also based on this chart, then let the SWG take over and maintain the FC.

The Fusion device is adding metals to your water- did you know that?? We advise folks to remove the metals portion.

More questions?? Holler :)

Maddie

Oooops.....forgot to ask- WHY the Clarifyer?!? (ugh! hate that) What kinda filter do you have? Clarifyer can really mess filters up.

WHich test kit are you using??? One that we endorse?? Either TF-100 or K-2006C

Please fill out a signature line telling us details about the pool, its equipment, testing, yada yada yada,.. Thanks!

You are at the bare minimum for CYA. This is why your chlorine is been eating by the sun. According to the CYA/FC chart, and having a SWG, you need to increase your CYA.

Hi ther MethodAgent :) Welcome to TFP!

First, let me ask- why did you drain and refill the pool? What problems were you having?

Why did you use a sequestering agent?- what were you using it to avoid problems with?

Use Muriatic Acid to lower your pH. I'd take it down to 7.8 as a start.... better to lower in increments as 8.2 being the highest end of the scale on those testers, you might actually be higher?? Use PoolMath (either the phone app or the classic web version found at the bottom of this page) to tell you how much muriatic acid to use. PoolMath

As you lower your pH, it will help lower that high TA also. A side win! :goodjob:

Again, use PoolMath to tell you how much LIQUID chlorine to add to bring your FC up to aprox 5ppm. That is the amount that correlates with 30ppm of CYA. FC/CYA Levels

Are you using a SWG? If so take your CYA up to aprox 70ppm and take your FC up using liquid chlorine agagin also based on this chart, then let the SWG take over and maintain the FC.

The Fusion device is adding metals to your water- did you know that?? We advise folks to remove the metals portion.

More questions?? Holler :)

Maddie
Thank you! We needed repair on a gouge in our pebbletec, long story......it looks great now! Honestly, I read an article about adding a sequestering agent when filling the pool as well as the clarifier. That is why I did it.

we added 1 gallon of Muriatic acid today so hopefully that will help. It sounds like I need to “help” the pool along by adding some chlorine to get it to an acceptable level and as you stated let the SWG take over.

What do you mean by “removing the metals from the SWG”?

I used the test kit from TFP. It was kind of fun and my kids liked seeing the chemical reactions in the tests. 😊

Ah....I didn't realize you replastered the pool. Yeah, sequestrants are often used then.

Did you use PoolMath to determine how much MA to use? Let it mix up and tomorrow test your TA along with the pH to see how it altered things. How big is your pool, again??

Add liquid chlorine any time you want a fast response to your FC level. The SWG (while wonderful) works too slow sometimesl.

Regarding the metals-

Older kids can be taught to run the tests for you! Chemistry lessons at home- Sweet!!

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.