Reducing water temperature

Tunny

Apr 9, 2009
I’m an engineer with “how hard can it be” attitude who decided to do something quickly about the 91 degree water temperature..
Went to the big box store and purchased all pieces and parts needed. The design came to me as I was looking at all the plumbing parts.
Looking at the picture of the pieces they consist of: 1 1/2” male adapter, 1 1/2” to 3/4” reducer, 3/4” slip union, 3/4” ell, 3/4” to 1/2” male adapter, 10’ piece of 3/4” schedule 40 pipe and quarter circle sprinkler head.
Bought two of everything except PVC pipe, built two units.
Removed Hayward eyeball and fitting. Uncoupled union and screwed in male adapter. Coupled union and adjusted sprinkler head then turned on pump.
Changed run time for pump to 8 hours in the evening.
Will see how quickly this will lower water temperature.IMG_1445.JPGIMG_1452.JPGIMG_1453.JPG
Total investment less than $50.00. Total build time 35 minutes.

it'll work. did the same thing a few seasons back, but just drilled holes in a pvc tube so it would act as a fountain. two things - first, just running your pump at night will make a big difference and second, pay attention to your pH. you essentially aerating now and it will, in some small shape or form, raise your pH. Have fun with it, nice job. I think I did mine as well just to see what would happen - got tired of 90+ water ;)

Check out Skippy's Pool Cooler Fountain in my siggy line. Trust me, its going full blast today in 100 degree heat! I'll leave it running overnight and the cooler night air should help cool the pool down some.... ugh! I don't know but I don't recall the pool *ever* feeling so warm in the past 8 years!

Maddie :flower:

I could convert this over quickly by putting a tee, and piping, on top and drilling a zillion holes.
My intent was to build it quickly to see if it worked. 17 minutes build time for each was fairly quick.
I like the graph paper approach, but that takes time which I didn't want to do today.
Too hot to get out of the house, car or anywhere that's air conditioned.
We sure became spoiled. Us older folks can remember when we didn't have AC in the car or house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.