reducing calcium using a water softener

Sandi DC

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Dec 16, 2019
South TX
We are under stage 4 water restrictions and can not drain/refill the close to 70% of our pool water to reduce the CH from the current 775 to the lower levels. I am haviung to add MA multiple times per week to keep PH and CSI in line. We want to run a submersible pump through a water softener purchased specifically for this project. I plan on disconnecting from pool to regenerate and clean the resin bed so that I don't induce salt into our pool water. Reading past threads shows that using the softener has successfully reduced the CH, but increases salt. Any thoughts on why my idea will or will not work? Also wondering if I should attempt to maintain any chemical levels on a daily basis during this process? Thanks for any advice, thoughts and/or help.

Excess chlorine will shorten the life of the resin.
You will need to stay on top of the remaining softener capacity and stop the exchange process before the capacity runs out - then regen and start again. Otherwise you will get the rapid rinse water and brine rinse water back in the pool. This would put the removed calcium (rapid rinse) back in the pool as well as increase the salt (brine rinse) level.

Let's see if @JoyfulNoise has any input.

What's the CH of your fillwater?

What type of softener did you purchase?

Your current CH is not yet to a point where it's unmanageable. With proper balance of TA and pH, you should be able to keep CSI in the negative range. Using the softener for top offs should effectively eliminate any additional CH rise. Exchange water when you're able (rain, backwash, splashout). You should be able to reduce CH at a slower rate while preventing damage to the softener.

Reactions: Sandi DC
We've had lots of rain in the Houston area. Has the rain missed your area?

How did your CH get that high? What's the CH of your fill water? How are you chlorinating? Using cal hypo?
I believe it got that high from south TX evaporation. We are constantly in drought conditions. This will be our 5th year with the pool..build complete in October, 2019. We started out using pool store chemicals, but I believe switched in 2020. At that time the CH was already in the high range and I am pretty vigilant about adding MA regularly to keep the PH down. In the summer months, I have been lowering TA to 50 to slow the PH rise a bit, but going on a 2 week vacation is a scary situation for me :) Our fill water is 150CH. We got a little rain, but not enough to make a difference. We use Pool essentials liquid chlorine..sodium hypo.

Your current CH is not yet to a point where it's unmanageable. With proper balance of TA and pH, you should be able to keep CSI in the negative range. Using the softener for top offs should effectively eliminate any additional CH rise. Exchange water when you're able (rain, backwash, splashout). You should be able to reduce CH at a slower rate while preventing damage to the softener.
fillwater is 150 CH. We purchased an aquasure harmony series lite with the mindset that the $350 softener was less than the cost of a company coming and doing the RO, which we actually couldn't seem to find that to be available in our area anyways. I do add MA fairly regularly to keep the PH down, but would really like to get it under control before a long vacation at the end of the summer. I really don't want to ask my elderly Mother In Law to deal with MA. The thought of only adding softened water for top offs for this summer is appealing. I wonder how long it would take to see a difference.? I surely can't count on rain and we don't backwash our pool. Thank you for your reply!

sorry for another reply..it just dawned on me that you are saying that replacing the water with softened water will eventually actually lower the CH?? For some reason, I thought that it would only stop the rise. I am super interested to hear any kind of guestimates at how long it would take to start lowering the CH based on evaporation only. I suppose we need to get the grandkids and pups in there to help with splash out! :)

how long it would take to start lowering the CH based on evaporation only
Evaporation leaves calcium behind so water exchange is required for reduction.
I do add MA fairly regularly to keep the PH down, but would really like to get it under control before a long vacation at the end of the summer. I really don't want to ask my elderly Mother In Law to deal with MA.
If you have room in you CYA level, you can float a trichlor tablet or two while on vacation. Trichlor is acidic and will help to control pH rise. You can do some experiments ahead of time to prep for the vacation. Maybe have a spare floater around loaded with a tab or two so all MIL just needs to throw it in the pool.

How is you water usage monitored? Is it not possible to drain off a bit water here and there (and replace with softened water) to reduce CH slowly?

Thanks so much for the info! I will certainly start trying to sneak some of that water out of there! I wasn't aware that trichlor reduced ph. I learn so much here! We have a chlorine tablet inline (I think I am saying that correctly) dispenser, but rarely use it so as to not raise CYA. Last year, we went to sturgis for 2 weeks and I put pucks in as an extra protection knowing that the automatic chlorinator was going to cut it pretty close to running out by the time we returned. I also added a large dose of MA just before leaving and said a prayer. lol. I was shocked to find that the PH was ok when we returned. I guess you solved that mystery for me! :) You also just reminded me that we are supposed to post our latest readings when we post. oy! Anyhoos...the cya is a bit low but I wasn't going to deal with it until we softened all the water. If we just "wait it out" and top off with softened water, I will definitely use up some of these pucks to save on LQ AND MA! Thanks!

Your signature does not show that you have a heater. If things have changed, don't use the inline chlorinator if you have a heater. Use a floater instead.

I'm curious to know how the water softener works out for you. Please post a follow-up. Because of some challenges here on my property, I use an RV softener instead. It works, but it's not ideal.

Reactions: Sandi DC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your signature does not show that you have a heater. If things have changed, don't use the inline chlorinator if you have a heater. Use a floater instead.

I'm curious to know how the water softener works out for you. Please post a follow-up. Because of some challenges here on my property, I use an RV softener instead. It works, but it's not ideal.
No heater. Thanks for the warning though. My husband sounds like he wants to experiment with using the water softener so... will report back once we know something. I am very appreciative for the guidance and suggestions!