Red Chlorine levels

Cottam

Apr 14, 2020
Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia
Hi,
I have a 18000 gallon pool and I haven't had many issues with running it until now. We hardly use the pool, but due to COVID and the lockdown we've started to use the pool more.
I'm using a PENTAIR test kit to test the CL and PH levels in the pool. Please see the attached photo. Never come across 'Red' CL before. Can anyone help me to understand why this is and what to do?

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-14 at 14.27.22.jpeg

Currently using 90% TCCA (G-90) granular chlorine. Just purchased this a few days ago. Unsure what it was before since I didn't maintain the pool
Im using Yellow Cap to test the CL and Red Cap to test the PH

Your pH is wa-a-ay too low and your FC is probably too high. You need a more accurate kit to manage your pool the way we teach. The Taylor K-2006C or the TF-100 from Tftestkits are about the only acceptable ones..

Since you're in Malaysia I'm sure it isn't easy to get a good kit.

I'm kinda thinking like Neemer, it appears that the OTO and pH are switched.
One thing about the OTO test is that it doesn't 'bleach' out in very high chlorine so it'll turn yellow to orange to red as the chlorine gets higher.

Redo the test making sure you have the right reagents in the right vial and post back the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.