Melbourne, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ25
Hi there. We have taken the plunge (sorry 🥴) and bought a beach house that has a tablet chlorination system. Tested the CYA and it’s about 100! To me it seems the best way to manage FC and keep CYA in control is to get a SWG like we have at home.
So my main question is, any thoughts on great value good quality SWG in Australia? Happy with the one we have at home so unless there are any amazing recommendations then I’ll just go for the same brand - can’t remember now exactly which one it is.
Thanks

Australia has really great SWG's.. They embraced them long ago when here in the US it is a new thing... As far as what system is the best I am not sure...

Reactions: Pins
I have very good experience with Astralpool, which you also seem to have at home according to your account details.

Until two weeks ago I had a Hurlcon, which was installed in 2005, cell got replaced in 2007, and ran until now. Still producing chlorine, but the display was starting to fail. Hurlcon got bought a while ago by US company Fluidra who rebranded them as Astralpool Australia. But they are basically still manufacturing their own SWGs (and other equipment) here in Australia. After this good experience with Hurlcon, I replaced it with an Astralpool Viron V35, which is very similar to your home SWG, but it doesn't have the acid dosing feature of the eQuilibrium or the automation mode which I don't need (automation mode is using ORP-sensor which only works with next to no CYA, which I don't think makes sense). Very happy with it so far.

What are you doing with the pool while not there? Someone looking after it, emptying skimmer, checking at least pH, FC, adjusting SWG settings? Can you keep the system running while not there?

I have very good experience with Astralpool, which you also seem to have at home according to your account details.

Until two weeks ago I had a Hurlcon, which was installed in 2005, cell got replaced in 2007, and ran until now. Still producing chlorine, but the display was starting to fail. Hurlcon got bought a while ago by US company Fluidra who rebranded them as Astralpool Australia. But they are basically still manufacturing their own SWGs (and other equipment) here in Australia. After this good experience with Hurlcon, I replaced it with an Astralpool Viron V35, which is very similar to your home SWG, but it doesn't have the acid dosing feature of the eQuilibrium or the automation mode which I don't need (automation mode is using ORP-sensor which only works with next to no CYA, which I don't think makes sense). Very happy with it so far.

What are you doing with the pool while not there? Someone looking after it, emptying skimmer, checking at least pH, FC, adjusting SWG settings? Can you keep the system running while not there?
Hi @mgtfp ,

We have only just got the house so no real system in place as yet for monitoring. Essentially I think it will be tricky to monitor regularly. We’ll be renting it out too so would be good to have some sense of what is going on there. So far from what I’ve learned on this great site, is that even automated systems aren’t super great but I wasn’t aware of the low CYA thing. So in summary, I need to work out the best way to manage the pool with minimal direct checks. I figured if I go for the probes for FC and Ph, then I thought as long as other factors are checked every few weeks, it might run ok. Ie check CYA, CH, TA which don’t fluctuate too much. So guess ideally a system like this that also allows the right CYA. I’ll have to check some spec sheets.
At the moment it is just running on a timer but yes, no reason the system can’t run while we are away. Appreciate your thoughts.

I thought that in this case, an automated system might be worth considering. I think many here are happy with the pH dosing. FC seems to be trickier, because there is no easy automated test for direct FC-testing. And the ORP-sensor seems to have problems with CYA. Astral recommends in their manual to keep CYA between 10-20ppm "at most". 0 CYA might make the ORP system work, but even 1ppm FC would be quite aggressive then, there is no wiggle room for problems, and the SWG will have to produce a heck of a lot of chlorine to compensate the UV-losses, so it won't last as long - but maybe that's just what's required in your case. So maybe it's worth a try. But I don't have any experience with this system, maybe others that have the eQ running in Ai mode will chime in.

Astralpool also has a system that allows you to hook up to the internet, might be worth considering to keep an eye on the pool from home.

I thought that in this case, an automated system might be worth considering. I think many here are happy with the pH dosing. FC seems to be trickier, because there is no easy automated test for direct FC-testing. And the ORP-sensor seems to have problems with CYA. Astral recommends in their manual to keep CYA between 10-20ppm "at most". 0 CYA might make the ORP system work, but even 1ppm FC would be quite aggressive then, there is no wiggle room for problems, and the SWG will have to produce a heck of a lot of chlorine to compensate the UV-losses, so it won't last as long - but maybe that's just what's required in your case. So maybe it's worth a try. But I don't have any experience with this system, maybe others that have the eQ running in Ai mode will chime in.

Astralpool also has a system that allows you to hook up to the internet, might be worth considering to keep an eye on the pool from home.
Hi @mgtfp ,
Thanks for those additional thoughts. Yeah the low CYA does seem pretty challenging. Ok with those thoughts I’ll do some investigation. Thank you

After this good experience with Hurlcon, I replaced it with an Astralpool Viron V35,
+1 on the Astral V series,

Hi I figured if I go for the probes for FC and Ph, then I thought as long as other factors are checked every few weeks, it might run ok. Ie check CYA, CH, TA which don’t fluctuate too much.
I wouldn't have a system that uses probes if it's a Rental. The probes can play up and cause too much or too little FC if not serviced and Calibrated regularly.
Keep your choice of chlorinator simple. A chlorinator that has LED Lights that indicate the power output is easier to operate and explain over the phone than one with a dial and an analoge needle.

+1 on the Astral V series,

I wouldn't have a system that uses probes if it's a Rental. The probes can play up and cause too much or too little FC if not serviced and Calibrated regularly.
Keep your choice of chlorinator simple. A chlorinator that has LED Lights that indicate the power output is easier to operate and explain over the phone than one with a dial and an analoge needle.
Good thoughts @CRAD_oz . My thinking is that it’s a short term rental so I should be able to get there every few weeks to check and clean probes. I’m not sure how often they need cleaning/ attention. I’ll have a look on this forum as I’m sure there will be plenty. Thank you!

Reactions: CRAD_oz
I would recommend CYA at 80 and FC at 7.. No ORP and simple timers work the best.. You can easily test a high FC SWG pool every 2 weeks and be just fine... That is the main reason I went SWG.. I can leave for a month and I know for a fact it will be just fine... :)

I would recommend CYA at 80 and FC at 7.. No ORP and simple timers work the best.. You can easily test a high FC SWG pool every 2 weeks and be just fine... That is the main reason I went SWG.. I can leave for a month and I know for a fact it will be just fine... :)
@cowboycasey i tend to agree. I think the SWG is definitely the way to go. Having said that I do find even my home pool with SWG surprisingly can drop FC a lot if I forget to test for a few days even though OCLT seems ok. Ph doesn’t seem to move too much that will probably be fine manually dosing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It can but I run mine a lot, probably more than almost everyone here and I keep my numbers above 7 at all times.. Most if they take FC to 7 they let it drop back to 5 or 6 FC.. I d o not, I keep it above 7... Running this way allows me the freedom to travel for my job for a month and I never worry about my water... My wife will not test and that is fine, that is why I have this system working for me and my pool.. Every pool is different and you may need to raise your FC level above 7 or 8 and see if it likes it there... :)

It can but I run mine a lot, probably more than almost everyone here and I keep my numbers above 7 at all times.. Most if they take FC to 7 they let it drop back to 5 or 6 FC.. I d o not, I keep it above 7... Running this way allows me the freedom to travel for my job for a month and I never worry about my water... My wife will not test and that is fine, that is why I have this system working for me and my pool.. Every pool is different and you may need to raise your FC level above 7 or 8 and see if it likes it there... :)
@cowboycasey yes that’s really interesting as I have been getting to think that my pool at home needs to be more around 7 rather than five. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I installed a CompuPool here in Texas some years ago. It worked perfectly and I had great customer service when I needed to convert the circuit board to 120v. I moved away from that pool six years ago so I can't comment on extended longevity. I did replace the electrodes at one point and was given a pro-rata credit based on the warranty.

Over ten years ago!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.