Recommendations? Large AG Pool Filter replacement...considering cartridge.

May 29, 2018
Wentzville, MO
Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a filter recommendation.

My pool is a 4ft deep, 21ft wide by 42ft long above ground pool (~24k gallons). Way too large for an ag in my opinion, especially with just the one inlet/outlet.

Current setup is a single speed 1.5hp pump, with what I believe is a 24in Hayward sand filter (can't be 100% certain as the previous owners did not place any labels, but 24in is what I measured). I just bought it last year, but in the event that I would need to replace it too, that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

The filter is physically in fairly rough shape, the threads on drain are stripped, the base it sits on is broken, and I'm fairly certain the MPV is on its last leg.

I'm considering a cartridge style filter for a few reasons, most importantly because:
1. My pool is a rather close to my septic drain field and I have had issues in the past trying to get the backwash water far enough away, so the less I have to backwash, if at all, the better.
2. I'm hoping that better filtration will aid given the fact that I have a lot of water to filter, and minimal opportunity to do so with only the one inlet/outlet.

By my best estimate, I need at a minimum a 150 square foot cartridge filter. I can only find a handful of options for AG that are that large, and they obviously are not cheap. I'm not certain what the specs are on my pump at the moment, but can get that info, but it should be in the ballpark for a large cartridge filter.

I read an article that suggested that large AG units may benefit from a larger IG filter. If that is the case, would I be able to use an IG 200 square foot cartridge filter on my AG pool? I"m not familiar with the fittings and such on an IG, but my AG is all standard 1.5" I believe.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Thanks in advance, this place is great and has helped me tremendously with my pool chemistry!

In the land of filters, go big or go home! Seriously though, you have more than enough pump for your pool and a larger filter of any type would be best able to handle the pressure generated by 1.5 horses. I do think a cartridge filter would be best for your situation. The larger the filter, the less frequently it needs cleaning. It doesn't really matter if the label says for above ground or in ground pools. The only time it makes a difference in pool pumps is if the pool is lower than the equipment pad, then you would need a self-priming pump like pumps rated for in ground pools. Most pool filters can handle 1.5" or 2" plumbing.

Awesome, thanks for some clarification. It wasn't making any sense to me why the majority of the larger filters were labeled "in-ground", when it's literally just a canister with a large cartridge inside of it. There sure is a decent step up in price though going from a 150sqft (largest I could find designated for AG) and a 200sqft (designated as IG).

I'm considering the Hayward Xstream CC1500:

Pretty much the same reason you pay more for a Lexus than a Toyota. In ground pools start at a higher price point so manufacturers expect customers to be willing to pay a higher price point for all that goes with it.

Reactions: Jbird2200
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.