Recommendations for a new pool cleaner to replace my disposable Zodiac MX8?

rp7777

Oct 10, 2011
Plantation Fl
Any current recommendations to replace my overpriced disposable Zodiac MX8 that I bought in Sept of 2014. I already replaced the tracks and both a and b directional controls. Hoses were getting so brittle to the point that just handling them the wrong way would split them. Replacement for a new set is is $125 and that is where gave up.
I have a screened in pool in south florida and my hose connects to the skimmer basket.

I want something relatively reliable although it seems the reality is everything is designed to fall apart about a few short years.

Just went through a similar decision making process...new screened pool in Delray Beach. I used to have a Hayward Navigator which worked pretty well in my old pool. Pinch-a-penny sold me a Pentair Dorado which didn't move in my pebble tec pool hardly at all. Took that back and traded for a Pentair Rebel which is a similar design to the Pool Cleaner with big wheels. Its working pretty well although it has sucked air a few times and broken the prime to the pump. Still working on getting it dialed in.

As an FYI, starting on 4/12 Pinch a penny has a pretty big cleaner sale. $100 rebate and $75 store gift card for at least the two cleaners I took home. I think it applies to most if not all the ones they stock. They sold it to me early with the promotion and told to come back on the 12th and get the rebate/card info.

They didn't have much good to say about the MX8 when I asked them about it.

Any current recommendations to replace my overpriced disposable Zodiac MX8 that I bought in Sept of 2014. I already replaced the tracks and both a and b directional controls. Hoses were getting so brittle to the point that just handling them the wrong way would split them. Replacement for a new set is is $125 and that is where gave up.
I have a screened in pool in south florida and my hose connects to the skimmer basket.

I want something relatively reliable although it seems the reality is everything is designed to fall apart about a few short years.

Was in it continual or occasional use? Sounds like you basically did one rebuild- pretty common in 4 years.

All the complex cleaners require more work than the simple mat type cleaners that only have one moving part.

I like my MX8 but its certainly more fragile than my mat cleaners, but its scrubs walls on par with robots which also require a rebuild every few years and a finite life as well.

I've had great luck with my G3/4 getting about 6-7 years each with one 20 dollar diaphragm replacement that takes 2 minutes of screwing and unscrewing no tools required half way.

Ive not had any hoses split yet and I have some 10 or so years old, maybe the quality has changed but I abuse the newer click link type and havent seen any sign of trouble but they are fairly new for certain.

I now have and really like the T5 which requires more flow than at the G3/4 (that I have) but is more aggressive in seeking the shallow end.

I also liked the poolvergnugen/ pool cleaner I had for a season, but I had some trouble with it working at lower RPM when the solar tap is closed and had to bump my min speed an bunch and sold it to a friend for nearly what I paid. In a single speed environment this may be the hardiest mechanical, but it didn't clean the walls like the mx8.

If it were a sinister world and I had to live with the tyranny of a single cleaner Id go for the T5 as the best compromise between cleaning, variable flow, longevity, debris ingestion capability, and ease of maintenance.

Uncle Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 87
Well I went to pinch a penny and took advantage of the sale (thank you Foursix)and picked up same model but now it’s the mx8 elite. I wanted a gear type cleaner because I don’t want it getting trapped and this model was proven to not get stuck. I’m not ready for a 1k robot and was not convinced about their other selection models. The pool store owner was surpised my hoses rotted after 4 year. He said maybe my pool chemistry was off. Could be since I was following the pool store recipe for the past 3 years. This should be interesting to see if the hoses last longer than 4 years since now I follow the Tfp method. I do however keep the pool cleaner in the pool 24/7 unless the pool is in actual use so if that is the culprit regarding the rotting and repairs than I will just make the repairs and replace hoses as needed until I decide to replace the unit again because I know I won’t pull out the vac everyday :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.