Recommendation for my setup? (Never had a Robot...)

ScubaDoo

Jul 3, 2019
Great White North
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
Hey everyone,

Looking to get a robot but not sure what exactly to be looking for. Currently use a Barracuda cleaner hooked up to sidewall vac/suction with a catch basket on the hose... works OK, but was looking for something more efficient in cleaning and that "scrubs" up to the waterline.

Our pool is lazy L,14x36, 8 ft deep end, with a vinyl liner. Are there models that are better suited to this design, and better for getting up the walls to scrub the waterline? Noticed there are WiFi and bluetooth models as well, are these useful or just gimmicks?

As always, thanks for any input! If there is something else I should be considering let me know. :)

This is kinda what I'm working with up in Canada...

Any of these I should target or avoid? Not much Dolphin selection.

Anyone in Canada have a place I can order the Dolphin line up from?

So, went with the Dolphin Premium.

Question: Which filters are better? Came with the fine filter installed, and some paper air filter looking filters as well.

Are they to be used at different times?

Spoke to the local repair guy, said he sees the polaris brand in for repair more often compared to Dolphin.

Heard positive review from anyone I spoke to about the Dolphin. We'll see how it turns out.

I have the active 30i. so much better than the suction side imo. I have a 3HP Pentair VSP and it bothered me that went the suction cleaner was on, it would mess with my skimmers suction. When using the suction side I had to have my pump at 60GPM in order for the suction side cleaner to climb the walls and that took about 1.3kwh to do that.

I have the active 30i. so much better than the suction side imo. I have a 3HP Pentair VSP and it bothered me that went the suction cleaner was on, it would mess with my skimmers suction. When using the suction side I had to have my pump at 60GPM in order for the suction side cleaner to climb the walls and that took about 1.3kwh to do that.
Yeah, that exactly where I was at... the side suction works well. But with the VS pump it was more of a bother. Was good when I had the old NorthStar pump cranking full blast all day long but the VS saves so much money running the program I set that I probably save close to the amount on the robot over a couple years.

Yeah, that exactly where I was at... the side suction works well. But with the VS pump it was more of a bother. Was good when I had the old NorthStar pump cranking full blast all day long but the VS saves so much money running the program I set that I probably save close to the amount on the robot over a couple years.

So I found my kill-a-watt plug and this is what I figured out:

2.5 Hour Cycle took with avg of 89 watts an hour
2.5 hour cycle x 98 watts an hour = 222.50 watts
222.50 watts / 1000 (convert to kWh) = 0.2225 kWh
.34 SCE (highest tier) a kWh = 0.2225 x .34 = $.07565 cost to run daily
365 days x $.07565 = $27.61 a year

.. vs...

2.5 Hour hour suction side, pump running at 60GPM @ 1295 watts an hour
2.5 hour suction side x 1295 watts = 3237.50 watts
3237.50 watts / 1000 (convert to kWh) = 3.2375 kWh
.34 SCE (highest tier) a kWh = 3.2375 x $.34 = $1.10 cost to run daily
365 days x 1.10 = $401.50

$401.50 (cost for suction cleaner a year) - $27.61 (cost for robot a year) = $373.89
Robot was $999 (including shipping / tax). $999 / $373.89 = 2.67 years to pay off robot

This is a rough estimate.. but you get the picture..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.