rebate savings for a VSP

Aug 24, 2016
Baytown/TX
My wife called our electric company asking if they had any rebates for using a variable speed pump instead of a single speed. They said they did not but if we gave them some info and details that they might can make something happen. So for anyone that did get a rebate who was your provider and did you have to show them something? How much was your rebate?

We are using Reliant

Very often the rebates require proof of installation by a "professional" and many "professionals" require you to also buy the pump from them ... at a mark up + the installation cost. I think it often ended up cheaper to buy the pump online and install yourself (check warranty impacts) than to pay the higher upfront costs minus rebate.

Sometimes you can find a "professional" that will install owner purchased equipment at a reasonable price, if that is needed.

Seems like the rebate amounts vary a lot by region from $100-$500 I think.

Just looked at what my electric provider offers ... definitely not worth it:

• $100 rebate
  • New variable-speed pump must be purchased through a TEP-qualified pool professional and installed on an in-ground pool at a single-family residence in TEP's service territory
  • TEP rebate will be an instant discount at the time of sale

Guarantee the qualified pool professional will charge way more than $100 higher for the pump alone than what could be bought online ... and would still have to pay for install too.

Very often the rebates require proof of installation by a "professional" and many "professionals" require you to also buy the pump from them ... at a mark up + the installation cost. I think it often ended up cheaper to buy the pump online and install yourself (check warranty impacts) than to pay the higher upfront costs minus rebate.

Sometimes you can find a "professional" that will install owner purchased equipment at a reasonable price, if that is needed.

Seems like the rebate amounts vary a lot by region from $100-$500 I think.
Exactly. Duke Energy will "give" me a rebate but I must use THEIR approved electricians, who are all about 45 min. away. I don't see the daily "savings" enough to convince me to replace a perfectly good 1 speed pump. When my original pump dies I might take advantage of the rebate at that time (if it still exists) just to save on the daily electricity use, but probably not before that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.