Re-plumb for new pump

May 21, 2016
Harford County, MD
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just purchased a VS Superflo that will be replacing an old single-speed. I'm going to have to re-plumb the suction side at a minimum. I've posted a few pics of my setup. It is located in my garage and sits about 5 ft./15 ft. (rise/run) from the pool. My pool was built in the mid 80s, so I've got the black poly pipe. As you can see there's currently some funky 90 degree fittings there. At one time there was a propane heater, as well as a line for a Polaris. Both have been disconnected. I intend to re-do my garage in the fall so I'm trying to keep that in mind from a compactness and cleanliness standpoint. Some questions:

1) Any suggestions on how to handle the poly fittings? Any reason not to stick with 1.5" pipes?

2) On the suction side I've got two lines, one for each skimmer. My two main drains are tied into each respective skimmer. I'd like to be able to control one at a time, and both. From what I've read, a Jandy 3-way would allow me to do that. Could it also serve as a check valve? Also, from what I've read the 3-ways have one inlet and two outlets. I would be looking to have two inlets. Are they not really made to function this way? One inlet (in my case) would need a coupler, while the other wouldn't, tells me they aren't.

3) If I re-plumb the pressure side, I'm considering reconnecting the Polaris line for possible future use. I could use a 3-way to do this. Then I have two returns lines, where if I used another 3-way, I would have the same situation I just described for the suction side. Are 2-ways better for both scenarios?

4) Any consensus on best brand unions should I decide to use a few?

Thanks everyone.

uc
uc
uc

I'm far from the best "equipment" guy around here but I'll take a stab and give you a :bump:

1. I replaced my pump recently and stuck with 1.5" to match all the existing suctions and returns. It's fine.

2. If I understand correctly, a simple open/close on each would be easiest? I'm having trouble picturing what you are going for.

3. 3 way makes better sense here, I think.

4. I used all couplings, not unions so no advice there. I have a feeling that the prep and glue skill are more important than brand. For couplings, I mixed Lowes and a local hardware store and it worked out.

Again, I've only changed a pump once, so grain of salt and all that. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. That answers most of my questions. The only thing I'm still unsure about is what's best to use on both the suction and pressure side where I have two skimmer/return lines. Obviously two 3-ways would be cheaper than four 2-ways, but I'm not sure the 3-ways are intended to be used when two inlets are needed. Also, still unsure after research if the Jandy 3-ways have three possible positions or four. Four would allow them to function as check valves as well.

Some brands have stops to prevent you from closing the middle port. But that can be removed so that you can put the diverter in any position. There is no issue with having 2 inlets running, that is what they are designed for. I typically recommend that the middle port on the valve is the common pipe (into the pump or out of the filter) to have the best control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.