Re-plastering 33K Pool & Spa

Xentex

Bronze Supporter
Apr 14, 2018
Devon, PA
Three years ago we bought a house with a pool. Getting it running was an adventure. The house was a foreclosure and the pool was untouched for three years. It was a swamp, complete with a dead deer on the bottom that we didn't know about until it was drained.

But that's the past, and it's been great and a lot of fun for kids, friends, and family for three years now. But it's in pretty significant need of new plaster. Not exactly right now, but I'd like to do it before next pool season if possible.

I'm looking for opinions or experiences on two things:
1) doing it in the fall, before closing vs. the spring before pool season really starts
2) different plaster brands, materials, mixes, etc.

My inclination is spring, a few months before swim season starts. But I expect a lot of people prefer that, so I'm just thinking ahead about how to respond if they want to push me to a different schedule.

Current plaster is the original, which is 20 years old. Wife and I are in agreement that we like the plain old boring white plaster. We don't care about other colors or patterns.

However, if there is some compelling "performance" reason to choose something else I'd love to hear it. If there's something that feels better on the feet, or resists staining better, or stands up better to salt water or higher pH if it creeps up to 8 while I'm not paying attention, those would be the kinds of things we'd pay more for.

I am aware of the shortages of plaster and long delays for all services home and pool related. If it has to get pushed out we can live with that. We just want to have an informed view of what we want before we start the discussions with pool companies. As an aside, my brother is just finishing a build that was designed badly, installed badly, and just getting completed badly more than two years after the hole was dug. So I'm on high alert for contractors taking shortcuts or doing things half way.

To the extent geography/climate matters, we're a little west of Philadelphia. We usually swim from early June to mid-September.

Not sure if this matters, but I think a very thin skim coat had been applied to the plaster at some point in the past. Maybe a cheap job before they tried to sell the house.

The reason I think that is because there are many places around the pool where potato-chip thick parts of the plaster flake off. When those flakes come off, the ridge that's left behind tends to build up algae, and because it's so thin I'll actually get algae growth under that skim coat adjacent to where it flaked off. Only way to get that algae out is to flake a little more off, so for three years I've been doing little patches like that here and there. I can pull those flakes off with a fingernail in a lot of places. Other places I have to tap them with the corner of a pool brush to get them to chip away.

There's also a lot of places with pitting in the plaster. And in general it has a sandpaper-like texture in a lot of areas. When kids start the normal kid horseplay there are frequently skinned toes and knees.

I'm operating with the assumption that I want to have all the old plaster removed first, down to the gunite. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if it sounds like something else might be going on that I'm not aware of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.