Raypak RP 2100 heater - plugs not removed?

mikegmi2

Jun 7, 2019
Michigan
I had a pool company close my pool last year, and yesterday I realized that the 2 plastic plugs for the heater (older Raypak 2100, dark green metal exterior, probably 15-20 years old) were still in place. I am not sure if they undid the plugs for an hour or 2 while they were here, and put them back in...or if they were left in all winter (I live in Michigan). All the other plugs for the pump, filter, were taken out and left in the pump basket all winter. All my pool equipment is inside a brick pool house.

Is my heater toast? Will I have to order a new heat exchanger, maybe other parts, due to freeze damage? Or will I be ok because the water likely drained out through the filter/pump during the 2-3 months before we had any freezing temperatures? If I understand, the heat exchanger is where all the water is located inside the heater, which is up high...couple feet off the ground...so the water should have drained back down through the pump drain...?

Also, is there a way I can/should test my heater for damage/leaks before I open my pool? I have a month, so if I could figure out if it was damaged and repair it before I open my pool this would take care of the problem so there were no surprises come Memorial Day. Thanks!

What about the plugs? It is really bad that they were left in? Or might the heater be ok?

My hope was to take care of this 'potential' issue before opening the pool. If I open the pool and have a nasty leak then I have an emergency on my hands that I have to take care of asap. I live on a well so water is expensive, can't just throw a city hose into the pool.

What about the plugs? It is really bad that they were left in? Or might the heater be ok?

My hope was to take care of this 'potential' issue before opening the pool. If I open the pool and have a nasty leak then I have an emergency on my hands that I have to take care of asap. I live on a well so water is expensive, can't just throw a city hose into the pool.
It may be fine. If it leaks, just turn the pump back off and wait as long as you like to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.