Random burn mark on Hayward skimmer

Heisenberg328

Apr 29, 2021
Boston, MA - USA
Hello fellow TFP followers... I've recently noticed a hole forming on the right side of my skimmer. It is an above-ground (24') w/ a Hayward 1.5hp pump and DE filter. Pool and filter/pump is approx. 4 years old. We recently added an electric heat pump; RayPak 5450 which is hooked up from the filter (cold in) and out to the return/jet (hot). Doubt the two are related... Has anyone else encountered this?

See images for reference:

hayward skimmer close up.jpghayward skimmer.jpg

Looks like an impact from the inside.

The stress cracks indicate impact or stress.

The brown looks like rust from something metal/iron/steel embedded in the plastic.

See if a strong magnet will stick to the spot.

The spot is on the widemouth extension.

See if you can feel anything from the inside.

1628100724447.png
1628101456344.png

Reactions: Pv2 and Newdude
The ease of swapping has a couple variables. One being if the holes can line-up, the other being the age of the liner. In some cases, once you remove the faceplate screws the liner can try to move. It can be tricky to get everything to line-up again. Maybe some others will give their personal experience.

I think that I would do a repair on the inside and outside vs replacing the part.

Reactions: Pv2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.