Raising CYA

Kekster

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Green Valley, AZ
I haven't been checking my CYA level and now I'm blowing thru liquid chlorine (lesson learned). Was keeping CYA level at 50 and all was good. What do you recommend to raise the level. CYA test tube is clear filled to the top.

CL 1
CH 125
TA 70
ph 7.6
CYA <20
temp 62º

You have a few options. You can add CYA directly, or you can chlorinate with dichlor or tricolor for a while which will raise the CYA level as well. In the spring, I usually add about 2/3 of my CYA directly and use granules to chlorinate to finish off.

Natural Chemistry makes a liquid stabilizer called "Instant Conditioner" (see pic). It's more expensive than powdered/granular, but works faster.
Dosage recommendation from the manufacturer is 1 gallon for every 32 ppm increase in CYA, per 10K gallons. So for your 24K gallon pool - assuming you wanted to be at 50 ppm: 1gallon * 50/32 * 2.4 = 3.75 gallons.

Or, since your chlorine is low, use less stabilizer and add pucks (stabilized chlorine tablets). These will increase both CYA and chlorine.
20200423_151744.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.