Rain Water Filling Closed Pool Back Up

May 13, 2016
Walla Walla, WA
When closing my pool this fall I drained the water down below the skimmer intake and the return jets. In fact, I drained it until my pump would no longer maintain a prime. I must have a leaky valve from the skimmer to the pump because even when turned off and pulling only from the bottom drain I was not able to maintain prime.
Anyway, the skimmer was empty, I added antifreeze and installed a Gizmo. We have had unprecedented rainfall through October an upon checking my skimmer the other day I noticed that the pool level was back up to the point that it filled the skimmer back up! All lines are drained and sealed, but do I need to find a way to pump more water out of the pool to get it below the skimmer? I don't want to de-winterize my pump, so I would have to use a portable transfer pump. If not now, then at what point should I consider draining more water out? Thanks!

It's normal to not be able to pump water out when it is below the skimmer. Standard pool pumps can't do much lifting.

The easiest way if you have an area nearby that is below the water level is to hook up your garden hose to a faucet and put the end in the skimmer near the bottom. Once it quits bubbling and has a steady stream running, shut the water off and unscrew the hose from the faucet. Plug the hose with your finger and and carry the hose to a low spot. The pool will drain to the bottom of the skimmer and stop.

I just feed the hose into the pool, then cover the end with my thumb and pull the hose out to where I want it. Instant siphon without messing around with other things.

I appreciate all of the help on how to remove water from the pool. I actually have access to a really handy little transfer pump that will work great. My question really pertains to whether or not it is necessary. We typically don't get a lot of rain over the winter months in Eastern Washington - maybe 10-12 inches at most. All of my lines are cleared of water. What would be the harm in leaving the water level alone?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.