R-0013

Gleave

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Tri Cities WA State
I purchased cya reagent refill towards end of season last year.. we just set and filled pool. First and only test so far is for cya but it doesn’t even cloud when I mix - could it be bad? Am I wrong to start with that test first? We had issues with it being high last year but thanks to everyone here ..and I still have lots to learn.

Tap water doesn’t have CYA, so if you just filled pool you’ll need to add some. Use Pool Math, then add a bit less than what PM says. Easier to add more than to remove too much!

Ok so that is something we add - a stabilizer? Is that what I should be testing and getting in check first? Or the ph levels ... cause can’t that raise? Trying to refresh from last season after finding all of SO many helpful people.. we are not starting this year with the pool store holding our hand

Yes. CYA is generally sold as stabilizer. Look for Cyuranic Acid as main active ingredient. I'd say you want to start with adding chlorine. With currently no CYA, you'll only need a minimum amount of chlorine. See this chart. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Read up in pool school and ask further questions. Yes PH CAN rise but under certain circumstances like running a SWG. Using certain forms of dry chlorine can actually cause PH to crash.

Read up in pool school as I mentioned and post your questions as you go. :)

You actually should run all your tests, if you haven’t already. Then post numbers here and we can assist with what to do, when.

ph can certainly raise, and lowering it is just a matter of adding the appropriate amount of muriatic acid. But, and I could be wrong, since this is a new fill I’m going to guess that it probably isn’t outlandish. But let’s see those test numbers!

Have you read through Pool School?

Ok thanks SO much - I have read through and I will again - you are so much help! I will do and post all test in morning - I was just concerned about starting cause after last season and the pool store ... well I will say no more about that - some of the reading on all the valuable info just starts to confuse me a bit - I just want to start off right this season - will be back with numbers

When things start getting overwhelming, just break it down to steps and take one st a time!

Hopefully I am back in the right spot -
fc-5
cya-70
ph-8
ta-290
want to try borates - waiting for test and refills ordered . So all the reading .. I should get ph lowered
then lower the TA ( that will lower ph also?)
add borates and bring ph back up?
one lowers one raises ... I just want to make sure I am starting with lowering the right one first. Thanks all

Hold off on the borates for now. We can discuss adding borates after your water is balanced.

Lowering the pH will also lower the TA a little. Lower pH to around 7.2-7.4 - then aerate to raise pH. Or just let it rise on its own. The acid addition will also lower TA. Aeration will raise pH without raising TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I figured I would get everything in check before I add the borates also until test gets here - but just need some hand holding :rolleyes: - thank you! My mission is to first get the PH lower to get TA lower then ph in check. Question mark ... thanks again -

Two things to work on....

1 - Use [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and keep FC above the minimum listed. If your SWG is generating, then use the section on that chart for SWG. If SWG is NOT generating chlorine, use the non-SWG section of the chart.

2 - Work on lowering theTA - Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Once the TA is in the 60-80 range, see how fast the pH rises. If it stabilizes or rises slowly, no need to add borates just for pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.