Quick Laars/Jandy heater question.

Jun 17, 2011
Moved into house with 20 year old Laars heater. It works fine but in my old house, my Hayward heater dial would click when it was at temperature that I wanted. The dial on the Laars one just turns with no click. Is the dial defective or is that how they are? If so, How do I know what to leave the heat at to maintain the temperature that I want? Thanks. 100260

I had a similar Laars Jandy when I moved in , few things to try:
1. Turn off and wait for a minute. Turn temp gauge to high on the exterior dial of the unit. Flick the rocker switch to ON, unit should fire up after a delay (can be up to 20 seconds).
2. If you hear the gas flow after a short delay but the heater doesn't light check the
a. Does the unit have a shut gas shut off valve either exterior or inside the unit. Mine had 2 for some reason. Trace your gas source and make sure they are on.
b. Make sure your pilot light is lit and properly adjusted to ignite the gas as it turns on.
3. turn off any booster pumps and repeat step one. There flow sensor on these units that can be fidgety, without enough water flowing through the burner the unit will either cycle or never turn on. Booster pumps can cause this.
4. make sure the fire service cut off switch is still in the unit.

*shudder* I dont miss my Laars unit.

Good luck!

The heater actually works great. Just trying to figure out how to set the temperature. My last pool had a Hayward heater. I would get pool to to temp then turn down dial until dial clicked and heater shut off...then left dial in that spot. This heater has no click.

I've had 2 Lars lite 2 heaters over the last 25 years and neither had a definitive thermostat "click". But they worked fine. I would crank it up until the pool temperature was just where I wanted it and then turn the dial pointer down slowly until the heater turned itself off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.