Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, I had a few questions about my pool that was built and filled just about a year ago. Pool equipment should be in signature aside from the A&A heads/IFCS I have, but I’ll also drop pictures of my setup and chemical levels at the bottom of my post for reference. Also wanted to mention that my original IC40 cell randomly died a few months ago, and I just had a new one installed 2 days ago under warranty.

I’ve noticed that the flow light for my cell will be red unless I put the pump RPM pretty high, like to around 2100 RPM. This means that when I have the “cleaning” mode on for my pool, which sets the RPM to 2900 to have the IFCS heads rotating and popping up fully, that is the only time the SWG is generating chlorine. I currently have that mode set to run from 11 am-3 pm and 7 pm-10 pm since peak electricity hours are from 3-7 pm and it seems like 7 hours total has been enough to keep the pool clean. When the “cleaning” mode isn’t on, I have the pump usually running at 1500 RPM for the rest of the day.

1. Is it okay to only have the SWG generating chlorine for those 7 hours and to have the flow light red for the rest of the time assuming I can calculate what % to set my SWG at for adequate chlorine production on a daily basis?
2. Do I possibly have a bad flow switch or something else going on if the RPM really needs to be that high to register flow?
3. Like I said before, when the RPM drops to 1500 and the IFCS heads aren’t popping up and rotating anymore, is the pool still getting proper circulation? You’ll notice from the plumbing that although I have an option to use the wall returns, the SWG is plumbed to only go through the IFCS heads, AND I’d have to manually switch the valve to change to wall returns.
—————————
pH 7.8
FC 7
CH 300 (planning on raising to around 500 to help maintain good CSI levels -0.3-0)
TA 60
CYA 80
Salt 3000

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0034-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0034-compressed.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0035-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_0035-compressed.jpeg
    815.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The answer is really dependent on the output of thr SWCG and not a factor of time or convenience. Usually the cell works 24 hours a day at a decent low rpm and the motor is only sped up due to the rest of equipment requirements such as the ifcs....

CH 300 (planning on raising to around 500 to help maintain good CSI levels -0.3-0)
Your fill water has plenty of CH unless you have a water softener on your fill line. CH of 300 is great for your location. What model test kit do you have? (Add it to your signature.)