Questions about readings

Just for the fun of it. I had to go mow my mom's grass, so I took a sample to a pool store on my way. Here are their readings:

FC 2.5
TC 2.6
CC 0.1
TA 96
PH 7.6
CH 214
CYA 20
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 0
Saturation Index 0.03

They used a PINPOINT Computerized Water Analysis System. The girl who did my test said those were the best readings overall she's seen this season.

I take the Chlorine levels with a grain of salt, since it was about 30 minutes since I got the sample and they tested it, but overall my tests and theirs matched pretty close.

Do I need to increase my CYA to 30 or as long as there is some in there I'm fine?

Last night, I added the rest of the bottle of the conditioner I had and will test again tonight.

I got my new reagents so I'll be able to test again, and I'll also be able to do the FAS-DPD test...woohooo. :whoot:

Ordered on Thursday and got everything by Saturday! Thanks duraleigh!

I tried to do the overnight test last night. Around 10pm the readings from the FAS-DPD test were:

FC 8.5
TC 9.0
CC 0.5
CYA 40

This was after I added enough bleach to raise it from 2.5. My GF's mom, daughter and her mom's friend decided to swim afterrwards and then it rained overnight. My readings around 9:15am this morning (sky still cloudy) were:

FC 6.5
TC 7.0
CC 0.5

Based on a 2ppm lose, with CC not increasing, should I be good or is this test irrelevant to figure out if I have organics present? My water is still clear.

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'll have to wait until Friday night. I work during the week and don't function well enough during the mornings before work to remember to test. It's amazing the feel of 7am on a weekday and 7am on the weekends...lol

Thanks for all the help!

ok.. take three for the overnight test.

Yesterday I checked my readings about 6:12pm.

FC 2.5
CC .5
PH 7.6

I added about 60 oz of Bleach.

Checked at 8:42 pm

FC 6
CC .5

Checked at 6:26 AM

FC 4
CC .5

Each time I had to run the test twice, because they seemed off from what I was expecting. I've been normally loosing about 2-4ppm per day, but my CC's have always been less than .5. The first tests the FC was too low and the CC was showing 1. On the second tests, the water was very light pink for the CC test. I rinsed the containers in the pool water for the second tests. I think it was my tap water throwing it off for the first tests.

My pool has no shade, so it's in the sun most of the day. My house isn't close enough to provide shade either.

I just added 3 lbs of 73% Cal-Hypo since I had it around and my FC was 1.5. Since it was 4 this morning I only lost about 2.5 and it was hot and sunny all day, so I wouldn't think that was so bad. I didn't want to dump two bottles of 182 oz of Bleach in my pool, since I have a little bit of CH to work with, I figured I'd be okay with the Cal-Hypo. I'll check it again in the morning, but according to my calcs, it should have put it around 20ppm.

I feel impowered now, before I wouldn't know what the Cal-Hypo was adding to my pool, only that the "Pool Store" told me to do it. Now I know what it's adding and making a calculated judgement call on the effect I want.

Thanks TFP!!!

The next morning my FC was about 10.5 and my CC was 0. Since then my CC's have been 0. I haven't had a chance to do an overnight test again.

I know this isn't the recommended way to shock a pool, but I think I may have gotten it. I will do another one this coming weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I feel impowered now, before I wouldn't know what the Cal-Hypo was adding to my pool, only that the "Pool Store" told me to do it. Now I know what it's adding and making a calculated judgement call on the effect I want.
That's practicing BBB......testing accurately and knowing what to do with the test results. We've all experienced the same empowerment.......very satisfying, isn't it? :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.