Questions about adding salt and liquid stabilizer

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
Tomorrow I’m going to add 3 pounds of salt and some liquid stabilizer so I can turn my SWG back on that evening. Before I do this, I have a few questions. I find that the CYA test on the Taylor K2006 test kit is difficult to interpret so I’d like to under dose my liquid stabilizer when I add it in case my CYA is actually higher than I think it is. Does anyone know how long it takes before the liquid CYA shows up on the test? I also need to know if it makes any difference which one I add first, and if I need to wait awhile after adding each bag until I add the next one to let the pump distribute the salt some. I’ve never added this much salt at one time so I wasn’t sure how to go about it. And after I add my last bag of salt, can I immediately add liquid chlorine to my pool so I can get it up to target level before I turn my SWG back on?

3 lbs of salt in 13,000 gallons is 28ppm. I’m assuming you meant 300lbs of salt ?

Doesn’t matter if you add both. Dump the salt in the pool a few bags at a time and either let the kids play with it or brush it around on your own. Salt water is more dense than fresh water and so it will take a minimum of 24 hours with the pump running to ensure good mixing. If you turn the SWG on too early you will get high & low salt errors intermittently.

Liquid stabilizer should register fairly quickly. Add it into the skimmer with the pump on full blast and let the water circulate for an hour or so and you should see the increase.

I need to add 3 bags, not 3 pounds. If it is going to take 24 hours for the salt to register correctly, I think I’m going to add the liquid stabilizer first and then add the salt. I have some liquid chlorine that I’d like to use up, so I will bump my chlorine up tonight before turning on my SWG tomorrow morning. When I add the chlorine tonight, do I get it up to SWG target level of 5 even though the SWG isn’t on, or the non-SWG level of 8? And when I add the liquid stabilizer, should I bump up my chlorine level to the non-SWG target level of 8 before adding the salt since my SWG won’t be on all day? My water is crystal clear now so I want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly.

You’re going to be turning on the SWG soon enough so you can just aim for the SWG targets. If the water temp is cool and it’s clean, then the difference between the two levels at startup is not that important. Just keep above the minimum levels and liquid chlorine as-needed to assist in case it takes time to get the SWG dialed in. Once you get the correct % output and pump runtime established, you’ll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.