Question regarding floating chlorine dispensers

Sep 10, 2018
Athens, Ohio
So I have been using the TFP method now for over 3 months and I'm still on my original water which is holding up beautifully! I have a vacation coming up for 9 days and would like to keep the hot tub as trouble free as possible so my dad doesn't have to mess with it much. My question is has anyone ever just dropped a floating chlorine dispenser with Dichlor in a hot tub for a week to keep the FC levels up? I know in the long term it will raise your CYA but honestly it seems like the CYA burns off so quick in my hot tub that I'm not real worried about using it for a little over a week. If you have used a floater can you recommend one?

I've used them. I have one that uses 1 inch tabs. Even with all the openings closed it still released to much for my 200 gal tub. I made a tube out of pvc pipe and drilled a couple of 1/8" holes in it. It holds two tabs and kept the chlorine up for about 12 days (without use).

I plunk 3 inch dichlor tablets in my pool/spa when I leave town. If water is cold the tablets dissolve very slowly, if it’s warm considerably faster—so how many I put in the dispenser depends.

You can get the smaller 1 inch dispenser and tablets at your local Home Depot which is ideal for a smaller above ground hot tub. If you’ve been using TFP method and have your CYA in a good range, using the tablets for a week or so is perfect for that situation. Will you be running your pump?

I used to have a pool that I had no confidence in to not randomly blow its top (water everywhere-pump failure), and when I’d leave town for many days, I would turn off pump and dump in a dichlor powder bag, and put 5 tablets in the floating dispenser. It shocked the water like crazy, but never had an issue.

Last edited:
I've used them. I have one that uses 1 inch tabs. Even with all the openings closed it still released to much for my 200 gal tub. I made a tube out of pvc pipe and drilled a couple of 1/8" holes in it. It holds two tabs and kept the chlorine up for about 12 days (without use).

I might try that idea and get some PVC this week. Seems cheap and effective.

- - - Updated - - -

I plunk 3 inch dichlor tablets in my pool/spa when I leave town. If water is cold the tablets dissolve very slowly, if it’s warm considerably faster—so how many I put in the dispenser depends.

You can get the smaller 1 inch dispenser and tablets at your local Home Depot which is ideal for a smaller above ground hot tub. If you’ve been using TFP method and have your CYA in a good range, using the tablets for a week or so is perfect for that situation. Will you be running your pump?

I used to have a pool that I had no confidence in to not randomly blow its top (water everywhere-pump failure), and when I’d leave town for many days, I would turn off pump and dump in a dichlor powder bag, and put 5 tablets in the floating dispenser. It shocked the water like crazy, but never had an issue.

It's a stand-alone spa and only 325 gallons. I have been using the tfp method and keeping the CYA between 20-30. Sounds like a floater or the PVC might be perfect for while I'm away. Might try it and monitor it for a week or a few days so I know how it will respond and maybe it will cut down on how many times my dad has to stop by to check it.

I like your idea as I'm going on vacation for a week and would like to keep my chlorine level up, I have a 350 gal tub. Couple quick questions for you if you don't mind.
1. What size PVC did you use and how long did you make the pipe.
2. How many holes did you drill in it.
3. Did you just let it sink to the bottom.
Appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks
Scott

I like your idea as I'm going on vacation for a week and would like to keep my chlorine level up, I have a 350 gal tub. Couple quick questions for you if you don't mind.
1. What size PVC did you use and how long did you make the pipe.
2. How many holes did you drill in it.
3. Did you just let it sink to the bottom.
Appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks
Scott

I have this dispenser:
https://www.amazon.com/Floating-Chl...4&keywords=chlorine+dispenser+for+1+inch+tabs

Tabs like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Kem-Tek-Chlo...45586431&sr=8-4&keywords=chlorine+1+inch+tabs

Used something like this i believe it's 1 inch. You can go to the hardware store and make sure they fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Genova-Produ...151&sr=8-16&keywords=1"+Threaded+PVC+Coupling

Use these for the end and start with 1 1/8" hole. see if that gives the correct amount of chlorine. You may need a another hole.
https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Pipe-Fitting-Plug-Schedule/dp/B00ALMHBR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545587283&sr=8-2&keywords=1%22+threaded+pvc+end+plug

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.