Question about water freezing temps...

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi Everyone. We are supposed to get warm temps this weekend and I want to attach my pump/filter and start getting my levels right. However I have a question. Next week the overnight lows on accuweather for my town say 36 degrees. With my water temp at 43 degrees is there any risk of the water freezing inside my pump or hoses? What if they are wrong and it does drop to 32 degrees one night? Just looking for guidance if I should wait another week or 2. I don't want to run my pump all night since electrical is really high and I have a single speed 1HP pump.

Your pump should have freeze protection which turns it on to prevent freezing. It will usually come on around 36 however. Up to you I am turning on my equipment this weekend as well and not worried about freezing anymore until late fall.

There is a lot that goes into how long it will take for something like a pump to freeze. In general though it will take many hours below freezing for it to freeze. You should be fine. If you are still worried you can also just run the pump over night on the nights where it might get cold enough to freeze. It would take temps down into the teens for many hours to even think of freezing water that was being pumped.

I'm located on the other side of the sound from you, and I'm putting my pump out this weekend to get going for the season. Theres a lot of sun hitting my solar panels that could be making my pool warmer. I was swimming the first week of May last year and that's what I'm shooting for this year.

Thanks guys. I don't have freeze protection I checked the manual. Maybe I should just wait another week. I mean they could be off be 4 degrees the weatherman and boom, I hit 32 outside and the small amount of water in my pump freezes. I guess I don't want to chance it......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.