Question About SLAM

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I am done SLAMming my pool...as I do it each year no matter the condition of the pool when I open. I have found one SLAM per year at the start and I really do have a Trouble Free Pool all season! This year the pool was in great shape when the cover came off...a little cloudy and of course I had to drag out some leaves. Everything with the equipment came up nicely...

The SLAM documentation says use liquid chlorine FOR BEST RESULTS...and I have 4 gallons of 7.5%. But I also have 25 one-pound bags of 75% Cal-Hypo. I used 6 bags over two days to finish the SLAM.

What, if any, downside might there be to using Cal-Hypo 73% (other than maybe adding too much Calcium?)

It passed the OCLT last night, as the FC dropped overnight about 1.0 PPM and CC was 0.5 or less. The pool is clear as can be.
Water temp is around 65F

My numbers right now are:
FC 21.5
CC less than 0.5
Ph = 7.2 when I started about 48 hours ago
TA=60
CYA=40
CH=250
Salt = 2900 (I have two more 40-pound bags at the ready)

Next, I will install my IC-40 and take out the "dummy pipe".
And, is there any concern about putting in the IC-40 SWCG with FC at such a high number...should I wait a few days?

Thanks.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
What, if any, downside might there be to using Cal-Hypo 73% (other than maybe adding too much Calcium?)
None whatsoever. They battle high CH pretty much anywhere but the east coast. But if it's not an issue for you, have at it.
And, is there any concern about putting in the IC-40 SWCG with FC at such a high number...should I wait a few days?
You overshot SLAM by a bit but there is still no worry. All your other equipment is hooked up and the SWG isn't a special snowflake. :)

Copy that on CYA, I have four pounds "at the ready" and Pool Math says that'll get me from 40 to 60........in fact I posted elsewhere it was $20 (!!!!) on the shelf at Wal-Mart for 4 pounds, Clorox Brand. Ugh... Since I thought I'd need it pretty quickly, I held my nose and bought it...it was $13 last season :( Also, A few Amazon sites say "out of stock".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.