Question about sealing vertical walls

rhythmtone

May 23, 2022
California
Hello,
We have a pool that is older, it doesn't have flat coping but rather giant pavers and the seal is on the vertical walls - of course the pavers have moved a bit since the 70's but the previous owner did have the liner redone so that's in good shape.

Some of the seams have developed gaps due to the pavers moving. I understand that the best thing to do would be to pull them up completely and re-flat everything, but for a "few years solution" what would you recommend to seal above the tile line, but below the pavers? It looks like someone did caulking at some point and it's in good shape, but the mastic seal below that, above the pavers, has deteriorated, as it's probably original. Should I try to use more soft sealant like sika flex, or some kind of concrete / mastic? Bear in mind, The Gap is so pronounced because I dug this one out as my test paver most of them are not this bad it would just be three or four out of about 20 of them.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave20220523_154831.jpg20220523_154928.jpg

Can't figure out how to edit yet - it's the mastic seal below the pavers, but above the tile line. From the picture it goes top to bottom: massive paver, caulk, the gap (where the question lies), and then the tiles (which are also in good shape).

Thanks again,
Dave

It's a shame that we can't get any replies, at least temporarily, as a test area, I used sika non sag concrete caulk with a foam backer rod shoved into the gap. It's outdoor rated, waterproof, and paint-able, if I want to match the red color. It looks pretty good but we'll see how it holds up. If there is supposed to be mastic/concrete type filler in there, it may have been the wrong thing to do, but would be easy to remove. It will need a second pass now that it's cured to really fill in, but I'll post a picture of how it looks so far when I get a chance.

Thanks for the bump!
Dave

The original material in the gap on my pool was some kind of masonry, but had cracked, crumbled, and deteriorated into pebble-sized chunks. It was falling away with lots of gaps letting water through and by the step was scraping bathers as they entered the pool due to the jagged edges. As I mentioned, it might not be correct to replace masonry with caulk, but we'll see. The masonry that crumbled away did not look original or terribly well done so, what I've done is certainly better than doing nothing I guess.

Thanks

That looks like it does the trick. A different color might hide the edges better.
Thanks for the reply - believe that the only colors of this product are white, black, gray, and sand, so I thought that gray would be the least clash. Sand (tan) does fit the earth tones but yes, but it's light color like beach sand. I figured that it's paint-able, if I ever get around to it.

Again, my worry is replacing masonry with caulk, but if the pavers have truly settled then I hope that it won't been a issue. They are massive originals from the 70's-80's I believe and I think that at some point someone tried to do a reseal, didn't do a great job, and painted over everything to sell the house, haha. So although I'll never have the most even surface in a few places, if it's sealed, I'll take it, haha.

Thanks for any and all replies,
Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.