Question about Calcium Hardness + Salt Water Pool

wakasm

Jul 6, 2018
Somewhere East Coast
Here are all the details about my pool from a post last year (with pics) - details also in signature (SWG pool with plaster)
------------------------------------------
Test Results 06-26-2019 @ 04:29 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 3.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 90
Calcium Hardness: 225
CYA: 30

I am currently working on my CYA, lowering TA to 70-80, and wanted to get my CH up.

However, when looking what to order for the CH, I came across this video which basically states - STOP adding Calcium Chloride to Salt Swimming Pools!

Almost all other guides say it's ok, and was just curious since that video doesn't seem to have any downvotes or anything, and says to use calcium carbonate (which, I can't seem to find). Just wanted to double check before I end up ordering 25lbs of Calcium Increaser.

Thanks! (any other tips are welcome, as I am never sure if order matters on what numbers to tackle first).

Ok - good to know if that is the case, for whatever reason, this video kept coming up as the first result when I researching this, last year I added Calicum Chloride, so thought I was doing something wrong. (Technically my first year with the pool).

Water is pretty clear, pretty blue. The stains that came with the pool make it look worse, and I think my camera's HDR is making that part more noticable. Pics Below:

Bonus Question. This is my first time opening a pool, and all summer, I have never been able to get the surface completely clear. It always looks good, until there is direct sunlight, and then there are small particles. I asked about this a month ago, someone said it was probably calcium flakes, others have said it's probably pollen, just wasn't sure how normal this is. (I skim the pool daily, but can only really see the particles if the sun is directly on it, or at night if I turn on the pool lights, but I never can seem to skim it all).

Here are some pics:
39tmeum.jpg

s1lOmbh.jpg

Bonus Question Related Pic:

quvpz4o.jpg

-

Calcium flakes from the SWG would not be floating like that.
That is just organic debris (pollen / dust / etc) blown into the pool.

Thanks - are there any tricks to actually clearing it up? Or just perfectly normal?

I am missing a weir door on my skimmer and I have yet to figure out a replacement (the one that is supposed to fit doesn't and the team that opened my pool said they couldn't fix it), that's the only thing I think I could do at this point to maybe address this (although it seems to skim larger particles just fine). I don't recall this last year, but I just feel like I can never get it fully clear.

Someone mentioned a fishing net on another similar post, but I couldn't figure out where they meant to install this.

There are surface skimmers you put on a pole like a leaf net. But fixing your weir would help a lot. There are aftermarket ones that are spring loaded and held in by friction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.