Question about Bestway/Coleman cartridge filter cleaning

kmandeville

Jun 1, 2020
Dracut, MA
Hello all. I have the Bestway/Coleman filter that came with my 22' Coleman pool (It's a 2500 gal per hour cartridge filter). I've been cleaning out the filter daily as it gets REALLY gross now that I've added the Intex skimmer. My question though is this, the water inside where I remove the cartridge filter from is REALLY gross. Very yellow from pollen, some stuff floating in it, etc. Do I need to occasionally empty that or clean that out? Or just worry about the filter itself?

Hello K ! I can help with this one...: You gotta clean everything. There should be a small-ish screw-type plug near the very bottom of the casing where you place the filter cartridge. Spin that out and hose that bad boy out before you put the clean filter back in. If you leave that icky in there it will dirty up your filter much faster, costing you time and money of course. It creates more work and no one wants that. ;) I hope that helped!

Thank you! I just wasn't sure if it was something I should be doing. Emptied it yesterday.

Hello K ! I can help with this one...: You gotta clean everything. There should be a small-ish screw-type plug near the very bottom of the casing where you place the filter cartridge. Spin that out and hose that bad boy out before you put the clean filter back in. If you leave that icky in there it will dirty up your filter much faster, costing you time and money of course. It creates more work and no one wants that. ;) I hope that helped!

In my limited experience, its always the little things that can become bigger things. We have had the Intex bug for years but this year, with the help of a storm, purchased a new liner and frame. This is our first Coleman...with windows!! Kids are totally stoked for the windows. Good call on the sand filter/pump though. You'll love it if you don't already.
...and you are welcome. You'll find nothing but good folks and great advice in here.

Hello all. I have the Bestway/Coleman filter that came with my 22' Coleman pool (It's a 2500 gal per hour cartridge filter). I've been cleaning out the filter daily as it gets REALLY gross now that I've added the Intex skimmer. My question though is this, the water inside where I remove the cartridge filter from is REALLY gross. Very yellow from pollen, some stuff floating in it, etc. Do I need to occasionally empty that or clean that out? Or just worry about the filter itself?

How did you install your skimmer? can you share your set up?

How did you install your skimmer? can you share your set up?

I took the outlet filter strainer thing(?) and unscrewed the cover part off of it. There's a small screw that holds it on and keeps it from unscrewing. That gives you something to screw the intex skimmer hose nozzle that it comes with onto. Then it just hangs onto the side of the pool and sits on the surface. I also took apart the other outlet filter skimmer thing and put the plug with the hole in it that comes with the skimmer into it. That way most of the water taken from the pool comes from the skimmer. I am no 100% sure that this is what you are supposed to do, but it looked like it from the skimmer directions, and I've read here somewhere that if you don't do it, the skimmer won't have much suction. I'm not home or I'd take photos of what I'm talking about.

Hope that helps

If you want to help your filter a bit, you could use a hairnet over your skimmer basket. Just watch it, because if the skimmer is the only return you have, if it gets too clogged up your pump will run dry.

I use something like this.

I took the outlet filter strainer thing(?) and unscrewed the cover part off of it. There's a small screw that holds it on and keeps it from unscrewing. That gives you something to screw the intex skimmer hose nozzle that it comes with onto. Then it just hangs onto the side of the pool and sits on the surface. I also took apart the other outlet filter skimmer thing and put the plug with the hole in it that comes with the skimmer into it. That way most of the water taken from the pool comes from the skimmer. I am no 100% sure that this is what you are supposed to do, but it looked like it from the skimmer directions, and I've read here somewhere that if you don't do it, the skimmer won't have much suction. I'm not home or I'd take photos of what I'm talking about.

Hope that helps

Thank you! It makes sense I have a 2nd pump I wanted to use just for the skimmer the pool store said I should not hook the 2nd pump in the second inlet for safety reasons I was able to get it running just running them over the sides in the gaps of the poles today. I’m gonna see how it does for now. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.