Question about backwashing a sand filter.

VinnyinNJ

Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Last pool had a DE filter and there was no power backwashing. I just turned the pump off, bumped the grids, opened the bottom drain and opened the air valve. When the water and DE came out somewhat clean I closed the drain, waited until water came out of the air valve and repeated; this usually took about 4 times and it was done with gravity water pressure. It looks like I'll be getting a sand filter with the new pool and I watched a video today and backwashing is all done with the pump (as I'm sure all of you know! :laughblue:) and there is a rinse cycle after it. The video also mentioned vacuuming to waste as well - How much water do you need to replace after backwashing and vacuuming?

I am not a huge fan on vacuuming to waste. Circumstances differ, but you can lose a ton of water with a big pump by doing that.

backwashing often takes a few minutes and if your pump produces, say 70 gpm, you can do the math and figure out that alone dumps quite a bit of water.

So backwash and rinse can easily take 200 gallons if your sand is really dirty. I would suggest you forego the "vacuum to waste" and catch the debris with your filter............that's what it's for

I am not a huge fan on vacuuming to waste. Circumstances differ, but you can lose a ton of water with a big pump by doing that.

backwashing often takes a few minutes and if your pump produces, say 70 gpm, you can do the math and figure out that alone dumps quite a bit of water.

So backwash and rinse can easily take 200 gallons if your sand is really dirty. I would suggest you forego the "vacuum to waste" and catch the debris with your filter............that's what it's for
Thanks!

I wasn't thinking of backwashing the filter until I saw the video. I was usually getting a long life with the DE filter and it didn't seem to use a lot of water. Good advice on not vacuuming to waste, I didn't have that with the other filter and had no issues I just thought it was a sand filter "thing".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.