Question about algae on tanning ledge

Other than just brushing, it is always good to get in the water with goggles and a brush and look in every crack and crevice for algae. When I was fighting it I found it underneath the steps of my ladder, in the seam where the main drain connects to the pool bottom and in the seam around my light where it mounts to the wall.

In each case, it was not visible but upon running a brush through these tight spots I was shocked at what I found.

pinstripepat said:
thanks will do....I was just about 20 ppm at sundown so i will see what my FC is in the AM......

Search everywhere, it's amazing where it can hide without being noticed. I read somewhere where you should pull your ladder out, disasemble and clean with bleach. I tried it with doubts, however I found algae inside the nuts holding the screws under each step!

I never found any noticeable algae in the pool like you, however I found some hiding in different places, so I would recommend you take a brush underwater and search every crack.

OK, ONCL revealed about 1.5 loss in FC....I know you want to be 1 or under does this mean i am ok or do I need to shock again? How much variation (or % error/ppm error) is built in to the test. I know sometimes I get a 1 FC difference from one test to another back to back.

Thanks...

It's not that you need to do it AGAIN, it is that you need to KEEP GOING. You need to hold shock level until your OCLT is 1 or less. Remember, shocking is a process, not a one-time shot.

At least it'll be 107 degrees while you are out there this afternoon. :cry:

oh, ok, well crud.....I am at work now at it was below the 20 ppm this AM....ugh.....is it ok that it dropped below 20 if i bring it back up tonight?

Also, what is your advice.....I am about our of reagent for the FC.....I will probably only be able to do one or two more FC tests before I am out. I just ordered some more. Should I wait until they arrive to start again? Also, is it ok to swim once FC is down to 5 again while I wait for reagents to arrive.

Water looks great no "visible" alage anywhere, clear abd sparkling and CC=0 today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pinstripepat said:
kizer,

Thx.....I guess I'm not asking it right....what I mean is if you see a tiny bit do you just scrub it off and move on or anytime you see any amount of algae do you shock?

Again new at this and trying to figure out the rules and guidelines etc...

I only found it the first time I decided to hand-brush the entire pool underwater and yes, I did shock it then. I check the latter and every other crack and crevice occassionally and have not found any since.

OK, I am very excited, but in the back of my mind something is telling me its too good to be true....LOL.

My ONCL was ZERO this AM. I took it at 8:30 PM last night and it was 11 and this AM at 6:30 it was 11 !!!!!!!!

Question though how could I have 1.5 difference two nights ago and then not add any more bleach because I am almost out of reagent (so i was going to wait to start the shock process again when the reagents arrived) and then last night just letting my levels come back down I go to bed with 11 and wake up with 11. Everything was off from 6 PM last night so the SWG was not running. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining, but just curious. I did not run the pump prior to testing this morning, I just left it off (don't know if that matters).....LOL

Please tell me I am good and my curiosity is getting the best of me, because I am pumped up to think that the shock worked and I am good to go!

Also, is 11 ok to swim as it comes back down...?
Thanks all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.