High Point, N.C.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I had pool repair company come out and replace a leaky Caretaker clean out basket union. As soon as they had left I found another leak lower down on one of the five Caretaker return lines. It is at the top of a type of connection sleeve each return has (red arrow). It is small but can cause about a one-half to one inch drop in pool water per day.

How do I fix this leak? Is it as simple as adding cement to the outside of the joint?

Attachments

• 20170806_144408.jpg
    20170806_144408.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
I had a leak similar to this where there was little space to work. I took a straight coupling like the one just below you leak. I sliced a 3/8" piece off of one end of the coupling and then cut the piece in half. So that it was a half circle piece only 3/8" wide. It will fit right against the top of the leaking coupling. Clean the area and then use the Blue Cement to liberally glue the small piece in place where the leak is. A very easy fix.

I applied PVC Cement Blue, but the coupling still leaks. I attached a picture of what I used and a pic of the coupling leaking again. What did I do wrong? I was told I could add outside the coupling and it would seal. So that is what I did. Still leaks though.

Attachments

• 20170812_130407.jpg
    20170812_130407.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170812_130329.jpg
    20170812_130329.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 42
It looks like the couplings were never glued properly. You might want to cut them all out and replace all 5.

Also, no one said that just adding glue would definitely work. They said that you could try it. It didn't work.

If someone recently installed the couplings, ask them to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.