PVC fittings from return lines sticking out of the surface - bad idea?

SuddenPool

Bronze Supporter
Oct 24, 2016
West Lafayette, IN
Hi all,

Time to get to closing the pool again. This time, since I do not have a second person handy to help with the Cyclone blower while I plug the return lines, I came up with the following idea. Using PVC elbow joint with a male threaded adapter, and then a small bit of pipe, leading to a female threaded adapter, which can support a regular threaded plug.

My idea is to screw in this assembly into the return lines, such that the female end sticks out above the water surface (effectively extending the return lines from the pool wall to above the surface). Then blow out the lines. Then just walk over to the assembly and plug the female end.

Would this assembly survive the freezing of the surface if the plugged end continues to be above the surface when I put the cover on?

I want to avoid reducing the water level below the return line level and thought this would work without having to order one-way valves etc.

Thanks for any advice!

Run an extension cord to the last return. Allow the last return to bubble up for 15 seconds or so, and then just unplug the Cyclone. Quickly go down and plug the last return. There is very little probability that water will enter the last return (and if so, very little) as all the air has to escape first before allowing water in. The extra 5 seconds it takes to plug that last return is not a big deal. Water expansion due to freezing is at approximately 9%, so most of the water has been removed as well. Thank you.

Hi all,

Time to get to closing the pool again. This time, since I do not have a second person handy to help with the Cyclone blower while I plug the return lines, I came up with the following idea. Using PVC elbow joint with a male threaded adapter, and then a small bit of pipe, leading to a female threaded adapter, which can support a regular threaded plug.

My idea is to screw in this assembly into the return lines, such that the female end sticks out above the water surface (effectively extending the return lines from the pool wall to above the surface). Then blow out the lines. Then just walk over to the assembly and plug the female end.

Would this assembly survive the freezing of the surface if the plugged end continues to be above the surface when I put the cover on?

I want to avoid reducing the water level below the return line level and thought this would work without having to order one-way valves etc.

Thanks for any advice!
First that is going to be hard on the cover. Second i would be afraid that once froze in and if some how the pool water moved it would bust that off at the return fitting of just crack it. Installing the plugs isn't hard and as Catanzaro mentioned above is an option.

Sudden, use your device as described, except after you plug it, rotate it (tighten) so the plug is in the water pointing straight down. That is essentially what i do. i add some antifreeze via the device outlet before plugging and turning it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.